6 volt cruise control

Tom Hoczyk

PCS Past President
Since we're already on the topic of cruise controls, I'll ask this, which I've been wondering about. In all my collector cars (the 12 volt ones) I have a Sears / Rostra / Dana cruise control installed. They work great for longer trips. But now that I'm working on the '39 LaSalle (6 volt, positive ground), I'm wondering if the electronics of the cruise control would work, or can be made to work. I'm expecting the answer to be no, but if one of you gurus has figured a way around it, I'd be very appreciative! Tom

Attachments

• 000_0895.jpg
    000_0895.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 103
they did have some that worked off a counter that was taped to the front pulley. I'm not sure if I remember how the aftermarkets hooked up to get the count. some did it like a tack and counted the impulse of the coil to set the speed if I remember right. I did have one that had magnets taped to the drive line and it counted that way. but anything that only needs a one power wire electrical hook up could be made to work with a voltage increase and a direct connection to the battery. if it grounded thew the case one would have to isolate it and run a ground wire. or one could use the Oklahoma method and pull out the throttle cable. but really how often will you be driving it at enough distance to really want one.

Back