Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,363 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
I think we ended up using that one to. here I was trying to find the location off the lights and get that marked. so I could drill my holes before I painted the car. but what makes you think your center one is uncut? that's a 2 in measurement across the level and we used that skirt in the back I think. I told you we mounted them low.
If my center one is cut, it would be an extremely small amount. Mounting low is not a problem but I will tell you, from my measurements the best we can get is 3 inches on the high side. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS Past President / Elected Director

Thanked 1,989 Times in 467 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default to level the 184...

1. put three long sections of threaded rod in the attachement holes and secure them with double nuts,

2. put a nut on the distal end of each of the three rods and run it up about a inch

3. put a torpedo level on the beacon skirt and adjust it to level using the nuts on the threaded rods. adjust it so that the short side touches the roof.

4. using a common drafting compass that you can buy at any office supply store set the points at the roof and the base of the skirt on the long side.

5. run the compass around the beacon skirt to mark your cut.

6. Trim the thing off with a really good and very sharp pair of tin snips. NOTE: using old or worn snips will ruin your skirt. Go buy new ones for $25.00 - good ones not chinese jobs.

The whole thing should take no more than 5 minutes. This after it took me a whole day to remember / figure out how they did it when I was a kid. I watched Chuck Penhaligon do it a zillion times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brady D Smith For This Useful Post:
John Burchfield (07-24-2010), John ED Renstrom (07-11-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady D Smith View Post
1. put three long sections of threaded rod in the attachement holes and secure them with double nuts,

2. put a nut on the distal end of each of the three rods and run it up about a inch

3. put a torpedo level on the beacon skirt and adjust it to level using the nuts on the threaded rods. adjust it so that the short side touches the roof.

4. using a common drafting compass that you can buy at any office supply store set the points at the roof and the base of the skirt on the long side.

5. run the compass around the beacon skirt to mark your cut.

6. Trim the thing off with a really good and very sharp pair of tin snips. NOTE: using old or worn snips will ruin your skirt. Go buy new ones for $25.00 - good ones not chinese jobs.

The whole thing should take no more than 5 minutes. This after it took me a whole day to remember / figure out how they did it when I was a kid. I watched Chuck Penhaligon do it a zillion times.
That's what Ed did. It like it. I have clear beacon domes coming and purchased red bulbs while in Albany from Len and just picked up a blue bulb. Can't wait to get that combination installed. Kevin's Criterion has the look I'm going for here folks. My angled foot mount for the Q2B is in the mail all newly chromed up. Thanks Jack.
Is it just me that my heart beats faster when seeing a CRITERION? Dern those things sure look good.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Website Member

Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

you guys are addicted to lights. I'm into rollers, baby.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Austin View Post
you guys are addicted to lights. I'm into rollers, baby.
Criterion: 20 lights

Lifeliner: 25 lights
Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 PM
PCS Life Member / CB Chapter President / PCS Secretary

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Will check my archives...

I have an original mounting sheet from federal somewhere and will try and ship you a copy.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vowell View Post
I have an original mounting sheet from federal somewhere and will try and ship you a copy.
Wow Jim, that would be GREAT!!!!!