How many of you have seen one of these or know what it is?

This is mounted behind the seat of 74 superior ambulance.

Attachments

• 20140221_164547.jpg
    20140221_164547.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 20140221_164539.jpg
    20140221_164539.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 354
I forget exactly how they work, but its an early "black box" type event recorder, right? Records time, speed and vehicle mileage in relation to each other.

Yes, I don't know what it's called, but it's to record response times. I'm guessing you have to compare the recorder with dispatch logs to estimate response time.

Last edited:
I agree with event recorder. Not familiar with this one. Worked with Tachographs that recorded on a circular paper. Later with the Failsafe Driving System. Both were hated by the crews but loved by management.

Was a NYS DOH requirement for many years to have a recording tachograph in every ambulance. I believe the brand name of the units we used were Sangamo. A round paper disc was inserted into the unit for 24 hours of recording. Helped to slow down guys with a heavy foot. My employees hated them. I probably still have one out in the shed somewhere.

Was a NYS DOH requirement for many years to have a recording tachograph in every ambulance. I believe the brand name of the units we used were Sangamo. A round paper disc was inserted into the unit for 24 hours of recording. Helped to slow down guys with a heavy foot. My employees hated them. I probably still have one out in the shed somewhere.

This apparently is the first version recording device of this type labeled as WAGNER. If memory serves me correctly, the later speedo-o-graph / tach-o-graph models commonly used in truck fleets (50's thru early 70's) were manufactured by WAGNER-SANGAMO, thus a possible merger? MM

Referred to by most truck drivers as "tattletales", at least that's the PG version of what they were called. We still had them in our trucks when I first started with SSHE.

Now obsolete because of all of the computers in trucks. Our fleet manager can plug in a little device that looks like thumb drive while the truck is being serviced and access all of the complete history of the unit. Speeds, braking, "hard" braking, missed shifts, engine overspeed, fuel consumption, all pressures and temperatures, you name it it's all there, dates times and when coordinated with QualCom records..places.

Damn it, they sure are taking all the fun out of driving anymore!!!

Last edited:
Along with my Barnette, I have three restored buses in my fleet. One is a 1960 G.M. P.D.4104 highway coach formerly owned by Capital Trailways out of Montgomery Alabama. It still has the Sangamo Tach-o-graph in it. It sits right on the front dash to the right of the driver and has the speedometer in it and is lighted. Back when I drove these type of coaches for Valley Coach Lines and Indian Trails it was mandatory that the disc be turned in after each 24 hours of your trip.

Back