A new noise from my car

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Last Friday night, I went into my garage to play. When I opened the door, I heard a beeping, like when the battery in the smoke alarm gets low. The noise was echoing, so it was hard to pinpoint where it was coming from. No matter where I looked, the sound was coming from somewhere else. Beep, beep, beep. It drove me crazy! The smoke alarms in the garage are hard-wired and contain no batteries. The garage door openers aren’t alarmed. After an hour of looking and failing to find the source of the beep, I went back in the house and turned up the volume on the TV. All Saturday and Sunday, the illusive beep drove me crazier by the minute. Beep, beep, beep. On Monday, my landscaper called me and told me he heard a beep coming from one of my cars. He found the source of the beep. He told me he opened the door of the “black hearse” and the sound was coming from under the dash. Beep, beep, beep. After work, I ran into the garage, opened the front door of the combination and on the third day, I found the beep. Was it coming from the radio? The siren? The clock? What on earth was making this sound from the dash of my 1966 Cadillac? But wait, it wasn’t coming from the dash. I stuck my head through the partition and the beep was louder in the back of the car. Beep, beep, beep. What could possibly be beeping in the back of my combination? I opened the rear door and sitting on the attendant’s seat was my jumper cable battery pack. The battery was low and it was telling me it was time to charge it. Like I said, it sounded like the noise you hear when the battery in the smoke alarm gets low. No more beep, beep, beep in my garage. Sorry for my rambling, but I just had to tell this to someone.

Well it least it wasn't the sound of something breaking down while driving. This is an easy fix, charge the battery, no more beep, beep, beep! I did get a chuckle about turning the TV up.

Had a similar experience. I worked for the City and there was a trash truck that was making a beeping noise. The only thing was the batteries were switched off, so there was no power to the truck. We had a couple of people looking all over the truck for the noise. The only thing in the "troff" was a plastic bag. We finally pulled the bag out and there was a smoke detector in it . It was in pieces but was still beeping :bonk:.

glad it was not something I left in there. but I did left the battery disconnect on the battery so you can unhook it if you want to leave the car with the doors open. I really found that handy when working on it. being hearing impaired does have it's advantages I don't hear those little beeps. drives kandy crazy when I say what beep and it's the phone in my pocket

Back