What do suppose this is (was)?

Looks American, and from the surrounding cars, the picture is from the '60s I'm guessing.

From the National Library of Australia:

Link -
http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3548974-v

Image -
nla.pic-vn3548974-v

so who would have been around in the 40's that would have built a carved side from a 40 chy product. meteor comes to mind as welling to do it on any chassis. someone down under needs to have this car in there yard. it could have been built with the glass panels instead of the cathedral cast panels for export. they like those view cars out side the US. but then wasn't that a miller in washington.

Part 1

This is a 1940 Dodge cathedral hearse built by Olding Coachcraft of Sydney.It was ordered by Marg Dixon of Dixon Funeral Home in Darlinghurst (Sydney)in 1939. The home still stands today.It was once an Indian restaurant.The reason for the cathedral windows on the Dodge was Marg wanted to replicate the windows on the front of the funeral home.I first saw this car in 1978 as a result of an ad in an Australian magazine "Restored Car" (still in publication today). As I recall the ad (with picture) stated for sale 1940 Dodge Hearse runs and drives $400.00 So off we went to check out the car and I must say it was beautiful.It was a brightish yellow with the big flower painted on the door.John (the seller) said he got it from some hippies (he was big into Packards and Humbers)
Now I had an Austin A40 which I immediately put up for sale and got $250.00 for it. I called John and he advised he would sell it to me for the $250.00 as the only other interested party only wanted the windows to put into his house that he was building.
Now we had just had our second child and we were in the process of buying a house for $38,500.00 and my very wise wife pointed out the obvious to me.We needed the $250.00 to pay lawyers fees etc etc.
I lost track of the car but often asked people (Dodge Club etc etc) if they knew of its whereabouts.
When I first found this car in the magazine I took the mag. to work to show a friend. I worked for Yellow Pages as a sales rep on the phones. Marg sat at a desk next to me.When I showed her the picture she started with...Doug I don't know if you will believe but I .........
She told so many stories about the early days

Part 2 to follow

Very cool, great story, Doug. As interesting as our cars are, the stories that accompany them are much more interesting. What are the chances of a professional car buff sitting next to the person who ordered such an unusual hearse new? :specool:

Part 2

Well I drove by the old funeral home and its still an Indian Restaurant (see link) http://www.theclove.com.au/index.htm
If you look through the pictures you will see the windows that I mentioned.
During my contemplation of buying the car (and remember I was working for Yellow Pages, I decided to see if Olding Coachcraft were still around. And wouldn't you know it they were and not far from me. So I called the office and explained what I wanted and they said come on down. Well when I got there the fellow had half of his archives out and we started looking through his pictures. 5 minutes later there it was brand new and beautiful.
Well Marg is now gone,so is Olding Coachcraft and I have never seen or heard of the car again until Adams post. I did pm Atti to see where his pic came from but it was just a facebook forward from someone he doesn't know.

Ah the power of Facebook.

Some use it for witty one liners; others for toppling governments. Another use is tracking rare schtuff of utmost importance with the highest priority to appease a fellow fanatic 1/2 a world away. ;)

Not through investigating but the pool of people that photo originated from has only 5 remaining. Progress. On it.

Uh...Doug? Is 12 hours away too far? ;)

Fair warning: Your heart will sink when you see current pictures in this auction. Rules schmules. If I could have figured how to circumvent and save, they would be in this post.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-1940-DODGE-HEARSE

1940 DODGE HEARSE - T J RICHARDS BODY

ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY TO OWN THIS AUSTRALIAN BUILT PIECE OF HISTORY

HAVE OWNED FOR OVER 30 YEARS

RARE ONE OF A KIND UNIQUE CARVED GLASS CATHEDRAL SHAPED REAR WINDOWS

ALSO UNIQUE COURTESY LIGHTS

NO MOTOR, TRANSMISSION, RADIATOR OR TRIM / SEAT

SUIT RESTORATION, RUST IN NORMAL PLACES

GENUINE EXPRESSIONS ONLY

FOR MORE INFORMATION PHONE BOB ON 0432612610 / 0419737894

My work here is done. Tomorrow is a ***big*** procar field trip day.

what a shame?? well, yes. however it IS still in existance and not recycled!!
seeing what others have done with FAR worse this car is not beyond repair!! all it needs is to find a home with someone who appreciates it and will give it some TLC!! So far I think this is an exciting chapter in the story, I hope there will be another chapter to follow!!!!

Dana Bennett.

Back