1989 m&m?

Mark Kennedy

PCS Member
I have a question. I saw a 1989 MM caddy hease for sale, I was surprised to see this car because I had never seen one this new before. I thought M&M went out in the late 70's. It also had a 307 olds engine and a engine plug. Was this common for this year of Cadilliac.

The original Miller-Meteor did go out after the 1979 model year. The name was revived, I'm not sure when. The Olds 307 was used in many Cadillacs.

I have a question. I saw a 1989 MM caddy hease for sale, I was surprised to see this car because I had never seen one this new before. I thought M&M went out in the late 70's. It also had a 307 olds engine and a engine plug. Was this common for this year of Cadilliac.

Miller-Meteor was revived in the mid 80s when Collins bought the rights to the name. After that Accubuilt built them until they dropped the name in the last year or so.

Yes, Mark. A corprate 307 engine was common place in mid to late 1980's Cadillac's. A bit of a DAWG in a heavy car like a limo or hearse. Not much better than the ill fated 4.1. The early 90's saw the Chevy 350 and later a de-tuned LT-1 'vette engine. Much better! They then became the Undertakers Hot Rod!!

The 307 that Peter commented to is the 307 built by Oldsmobile from 1981-1990. Fleetwood Broughams got the 307 around 1985 and continued until 1990. With only 140 horsepower and 240 ft.-lbs. of torque,these engines were super slow, but they were die-hard engines,unlike the chevy 305 of the same time period. The 307 can easily be identified with a 5A or 7A on the front edge of the cylinder head on the driver side of the car.With a typical pro-car weighing in at 5,500-6000 lbs.,the 307 was horribly underpowered,but it was better than the 120 horsepower from the 4.1 Buick V6,or the 3.8 V6 which were the only other engine options for those cars at that time.The 180-horse throttle-body-injected 350 chevy engine was added to the Cadillac Fleetwood RWD line in 1990. Hope this clears things up!

I did find the 307 adequate when you changed the converter to the high flow one in the 89 Collins 6 door I had. true it was not a power house but it would hold 75 on the interstate with 6 people. it also got 20 mpg on the road. you woundered in the hills but it went.

How much did the Chevy 307 of the early 70's vary from the Buick 307 of the late 80's that would have been in this MM?

My dad rebuilt and transplanted a 307 from a '73 Chevy Nova into another car in the mid 80s and it was a great running motor if I recall correctly.

I have never heard anything bad about the 307. I am sure that in a limousine or hearse, it might be underpowered, but it seemed to be a well built motor in general.

Stephen
Thanx for your further explaination of the "other" GM engines in Cadillacs, but, the 4.1 is a V8! Not a 6. Performs like a worn out 6, but its not.

John
According to the CLC book I have, it lists a Buick 4.1 V6 as being available in 1980-1982 RWD. It doesn't say what chassis it was in. I think its a moot point because the commercial chassis was still available in those years, and as we know, the commercial chassis never had a V6.
That is the only other listing I can find for 4.1 in Cadillacs.
It lists other V6 engines as being available in the Cimmaron (Chevy 2.8), Olds Diesel 4.3 for 1985 only, and an Opel 3.0 that was in the Catera.
No other mention of 4.1 V6's.
That is why I was asking Scott if it was in a pro car.

Last edited:
John
According to the CLC book I have, it lists a Buick 4.1 V6 as being available in 1980-1982 RWD. It doesn't say what chassis it was in. I think its a moot point because the commercial chassis was still available in those years, and as we know, the commercial chassis never had a V6.
That is the only other listing I can find for 4.1 in Cadillacs.
It lists other V6 engines as being available in the Cimmaron (Chevy 2.8), Olds Diesel 4.3 for 1985 only, and an Opel 3.0 that was in the Catera.
No other mention of 4.1 V6's.
That is why I was asking Scott if it was in a pro car.

Thanks for the info.

I do beleive there was briefly available a V6 in the Cadillac line in the early 1980s, but I have no knowledge about what division's engine it was, or what its displacement was.

But there WAS a 4.1L V8, which is about a 250 cubic inch engine. And I know this engine well because I had one. It is more commonly known as the infamous HT4100 motor. No question about it, it was an 8, even though it had the size and power of a 6. I remember when I sold that car, the person who ended up buying it asked on the phone if it had a V8. He didn't ask for any other details, only if it had a V8. I was able to honestly answer "yes", and leave it at that! :)

Stephen
Thanx for your further explaination of the "other" GM engines in Cadillacs, but, the 4.1 is a V8! Not a 6. Performs like a worn out 6, but its not.

Peter,the 4.1 Liter V6 I mentioned earlier was an option in the full-size Buick LeSabre wagons in the 1980's-pretty much a carbon copy of the 3.8 V6. The 4.1 V8 was designed by Cadillac, and was only used in Cadillac's. But yes,all these engines were super slow and underpowered. That's the only thing that was available then,except for the alternative-the 350 Olds diesel-JUNK!!!:my2cents:

Back