Ambulance cot - info required

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
I bought this old cot about 10 years ago and had it in storage ever since.

I really like the wording on the GoodYear tires "WAR QUALITY".

I was wondering if anyone has:
1. seen one like it before
2. knows who made it
3. knows what year it was made
4. knows what type of service it was used for (ambulance ?)

My guess would be 40's ?

Thanks for any help !
Darren

Attachments

• DSCI3321 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI3321 (640x480).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 664
  • DSCI3322 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI3322 (640x480).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCI3324 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI3324 (640x480).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCI3323 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI3323 (640x480).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 529
it would look to me to be a field removal gurney. have to be from you side of the line as we were never smart enough here to have a one man retrieval system in place. but we do have a lot of wilderness equipment that looks similar.

Reply from Len Langlois:
"This looks almost identical to the removal cot we used in Chatham for a number of years . This cot was probably made by Bomgartner or Washington & Johnston .WE had ours in the early 50 s and it had been around for a while would like to find one now for the 60 chev.Hope this is of some help Len"

In speaking with Len on the phone, he states he used this style cot for 15 years to do one man removals. The deceased could be brought down a flight of stairs by one person. When you got to the vehicle, you man handled the wheeled (foot) end on to the removal vehicles floor, than went to the head end and lifted it and pushed the stretcher into the vehicle. He says this is why his back is so bad today.

And from Bruce Whitaker at Ferno:
"This looks very similar to a cot made by The Washington Mortuary Supply Company (later acquired by Ferno Manufacturing Inc, thus the name "Ferno Washington". It was a model 8 basket cot. A similar version is still produced by Ferno today for their mortuary division. However, one striking difference is the sidearm rails which makes me think this was an ambulance stretcher since mortuary stretchers did not use sidearms. I will send you the user manual on Monday of the current model 8 and I will check with El
Bourgraf, one of the founders of Ferno to see if he can shed some light."

So more to come.

I can't see here but all the washington ones I have see have small wings at the base of the drop sides

Attachments

• washington 54L upa.jpg
    washington 54L upa.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 441
More Questions than Answers

The following was provided courtesy of El Bourgraf at Ferno

"You do ask some interesting questions and I'm sorry I do not have a total answer for you. It is definitely not a Washington Mortuary product and I doubt if it was a Bomgardner product. It is definitely a body removal cot and the wheels were added to assist on stair ways. The spring suspended bottom was a Bomgardner detail and the radius on the side arm bends resembles Bomgardner. The hinge system is not like any of Bomgardners. It would help to know if it was steel or aluminum tubing as Bill Kleever at Washington Mortuary was the first to ever use aluminum to my knowledge. Early aluminum tubing was only made in iron pipe sizes and this appears to be 1" which would measure closer to 1 3/16"outside dimension. I would also estimate the time frame after 1946 if I had to guess, using war surplus tires. The fabrication of the foot end (small tube drilled into larger tubes) was never used by Bomgardner. I'm inclined to think it was the product of one of the early funeral coach builders, i.e. Eureka Coach, Meteor Motor Car, A. J. Miller, National Coach, Superior Coach, Memphis Coach etc., who occasionally made equipment to help sell their vehicles. The other possibility would be either Royal Bond, Inc. or Frigid Fluid Co., embalming fluid manufacturers, who also made some funeral home equipment early on. The wheel is similar to the wheels on some of Frigid's old cemetery trucks. As you can see I don't have a total answer, just some ideas. "

it is some what on the same lines as the Collapsi-Cot. designed for the boot loaders. some were I have a pictures of a nurse wheeling one like a wheelbarrow

Attachments

• emergency aids co chicigo Il collapsi cot.jpg
    emergency aids co chicigo Il collapsi cot.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 451
  • emergency aids co chiago il.jpg
    emergency aids co chiago il.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 372
This was asked quite a while ago - and never really came to an answer besides suppositions. However, I have the 1963 Ferno-Washington catalog as well as the 1964 Bomgardner catalog and believe we have the answer now.

Indeed, the F-W Model 8 mortuary stretcher is similar, but not it. Bomgardner's version is closer, but not too much.

It is apparent that the photographed stretcher is most likely an early version of the Bomgardner LV-55 model auxiliary stretcher.

Memories fade and confabulate over time - but primary source is always king if you can get it. :)

Attachments

• Model8.jpg
    Model8.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Bomgardner.jpg
    Bomgardner.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 206
  • LV-55.jpg
    LV-55.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 186
Back