Those in the storm's path

Keeping a prayer going for those who were in the storm's path and now in the heat wave w/o power.
Site was down for a couple of days and now know why. I's sure that there are a number of members who can not access the net due to lack of power. Regardless, prayers are out there for them and that they are safe and well until it all passes. If anyone one knows the status please keep us posted.

Initially, I was told 7 to 10 days before the building that the servers are in will have power again, and with the amount of devastation in the area, I thought that was a reasonable estimate. It turned out to be about 36 hours till the power was restored, and the server company was able to get everything up and running again, with no loss of content.
Thanks to everyone for their emails asking what happened, and their patience once they learned about the situation...
Paul

Paul, I sent you an email about not being able to access the site before I was aware of the storm.
Hope all are well and keep safe if it is on coming near you.

It looks like a war zone around here. Many grain silos destroyed and crumpled like tin foil, barns exploded from the inside out, trees down everywhere and homes destroyed. Winds were 85mph plus and I just got power back an hour ago. Never seen such a wild storm in my life! It blew the dune buggy off the back patio clear out to the property line!

Glad to hear that you yourself are ok. Any word on the others in the region?

It sounds like some places in the Parkersburg / Marietta area have power, but not many. Marietta, Ohio and Parkersburg, West Virginia are cities that are next to each other with the Ohio River flowing between them. Even though they are next door to each other, it sounds like Parkersburg had more damage.

I've been texting on and off with PCS member Bill Peoples. He says they have no power at their house so he's riding the outage out on their houseboat on the river. He says they somehow have power at the yacht club, but nowhere else in town seems to. Maybe they have a super quiet generator and Bill didn't hear it running or solar panels. Who knows.

My brother lives in Marietta too. The power has been out since Friday at his place. Last night around midnight, the power came back on for about 10 minutes, but it went off again and hasn't been back on since. He and his girlfriend and their two dogs have been debating heading north, but they are still undecided. He wants to come up north and try to wedge the half a cow that he just got two days ago into a working freezer. She wants to stay with the dogs are ride it out. They say it will be at least 7-10 days until they have electricity again. People are wanting to get out of the city, but as of last night the gas stations were all closed or out of gas, so unless people have enough gas in their car to get out of there, they're stuck. I haven't been able to get much in terms of updates from him today because his cell phone battery was almost dead. He was able to buy a car charger yesterday, but he didn't want to have the car running to charge the phone battery up the whole way since he has to conserve gas for the car.

Hopefully I'll know more about the power situation once my roommate gets down there tonight. He is being sent there for the next 7-10 days to head up the public communications for First Energy. So starting tomorrow morning, most of what you read on the power company's website about the outages, see in a newspaper, hear on the TV or radio from a First Energy spokesperson is probably from him. I asked my roommate how the website server got power back so quickly considering all I've been hearing says 7-10 days until the power is restored. His professional opinion is that it could easily go down again, but it depends where it is located in relation to the high voltage lines and substations - those come back first. So it's possible that we'll still have some website outages as everything gets prepared. It's really hard to say.

Within a couple of minutes of each other, I got texts from my brother and Bill Peoples. Both of them just got power back at their houses. I think they're both surprised by that considering the initial 7-10 days estimate. Bill says that the few gas stations that now have power are packed and are now closing because they have run out of gas. Both of them say that more big storms are hitting soon. Hopefully things don't get worse.

Parkersburg still sounds like it's having many more issues compared to Marietta. According to the First Energy outage map, there's current 28,113 customers without power in the county where Parkersburg is. The rest of the state isn't much better.

We are now praying for all of you,hoping the outages do not last long and any other storms, send em our way,you have enough to worry about,remember stay hydrated,sit in a tub of cold water if you have to,commandeer a dickie dee ice cream bike for the meat,anything at all, times are tough enough without this crap happening.:smileflagcan:

We had one heck of a storm in MD. Just an unbelieveable amount of thunder and lightning, and 60-80 mile per hour winds (not gusts) for about 30 minutes.

At our house, all is well. We lost power but it was back on again in 3 hours. Me, the dog, the house, the garages and cars are all fine.

The counties south of me, it looks like a hurricane went through. Trees down everywhere, power out to more than 1 million people in the DC/Baltimore region, and they are estimating power back on by the end of the week. The power company set up a "base camp" for out of town utility crews in one of the parking lots at the airport where I work. I'm on my way soon to help a friend get her new generator running.

AND, we had two strong lines of thunderstorms come through last night, and a friend of mine had a tree come down on her house in that storm.

the straight line shear winds are something. we will get one or two storms here like that every summer. but of course since we don't have the population density it's not news worthy. it does how ever keep the trees pruned and the marginal ones down. teaches you how to build a tight building and all that. the meat if frozen will keep in a good freezer for 3 or 4 days toss some blankets over it or a sleeping bag and you will be surprised . eat the ice cream now though. the battery in the smart phone will charge just fine if you plug it in to the power outlet of the car with out running the engine. the few amps it take will not drain the battery. good luck

It's pretty bad

I was able to talk to my roommate a bit tonight. He's been stationed down there since last night. It sounds like things are pretty awful. People have tried to get out, but with so many of the gas stations being closed or out of gas, drivers are just leaving their cars along the highway. It's slow going to repair lines because the roads wind through the area, they are not well maintained and most don't have areas where the trucks can turn around. This all is making the repair difficult and slow.

The hotels that are in areas where there's power are full. People are volunteering to let strangers stay in their homes. Homes are flooding because with no power, pumps aren't working. Mobile sleeper units have been brought in so the workers have a place to stay.
https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio1023/status/219941955583475713/photo/1

Some pics of the damage can be seen here.
https://www.firstenergycorp.com/newsroom/summer_storm_image_gallery.html

the straight line shear winds are something. we will get one or two storms here like that every summer. but of course since we don't have the population density it's not news worthy. it does how ever keep the trees pruned and the marginal ones down. teaches you how to build a tight building and all that. the meat if frozen will keep in a good freezer for 3 or 4 days toss some blankets over it or a sleeping bag and you will be surprised . eat the ice cream now though. the battery in the smart phone will charge just fine if you plug it in to the power outlet of the car with out running the engine. the few amps it take will not drain the battery. good luck

Same here ED, thinks like this happen a few times a year, but since its iowa and everyone expects it its not something that gets newsworthy either. We had 90 mile hour winds through here (same storm that went east) but suprisingly not much damage in my area but power lines were down less than 5 miles away, and barns down.
I doo feel bad for those that have no power, especally those with medical conditions and no AIR CONDITIONING in this heat.
I never thought of wraping the freezer in blankets, wish i would have thought about that years ago! I have thrown out full refrigerators of food many many times.

Back