1947 A.J. Miller landau hearse... is home!

Saturday 8-4-12 was the big day, the old '47 came home to rest in Bucyrus. I knew this coach was HUGE from seeing similar hearses at past International meets... so opted for a rollback to bring her home instead of the car trailer. Once again it was Ronk's Towing to the rescue!

This turned into an all-day event but I feel it was well worth the trouble. Everything is packed inside except the hood... I strapped it to the front of the rollback bed since there was nowhere else to safely strap it down. One interesting extra included is an old Mars siren! Al did a great job documenting this coach and gave me a large binder full of information with it.

First thing I had to do once it was in the pole barn was dig out the landau bars and slap them on immediately. This thing dwarfs the Pinner service car by a mile! It'll be an awesome "someday" project, here's a couple pix of my adventure in a rollback...

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

HOME AT LAST!

Congrats, Dwayne! What an awesome car. I can't wait to see it in person. Can I use these pics in the Ohio newsletter?

big car

Dwayne,
Looks like Ronk's will have to invest in a longer rollback if they keep dealing with you. Glad you got the beast home safely.
Great save.
Mike

Sarah, yes you can use the photos for the newsletter. You're welcome to stop in anytime to check it out in person.

This is the biggest rollback Ronk's has in their fleet. Whenever I call they know to send one of the bigger trucks, and the ride was uneventful except for a flat tire on the hearse during the trip. Love the looks from passers-by when hauling something like this home!

Dwayne, I guess you like your projects big! It is nice that this rare coach will be saved from certain extinction. Good luck with it!

Looks like a worthy project. I can tell you that professional vehicles of that era were huge. My '47 Flxible Buick ambulance (technically a low-top) is actually just as tall as my '64 Superior Pontiac, a high-top.

Interesting that the hearse was owned by a 40 & 8 Society. I have seen three 40 & 8 vehicles, and all are fashioned like old steam locomotives. The one in our town was actually built by the B&O Railroad shops on a '52 GMC 1-ton truck chassis. For those not familiar, here's info on the 40 & 8 Society, formerly part of the American Legion.

Last edited:
Thanks Dwayne

Thanks for saving the old guy. Necromancer was way above my skill & $$$ level. Though my skill level has been improving over time the $$$ never did.
The idea of sending him to his final rest absolutely sickened me, which is why I put it off for so many years.
Also thanks to Paul for listing him for me so he could find such a good new home.
As with everyone else I will anxiously follow his rebirth.
Good Luck brother & thanks again,
Cadillac Al

Man is there a big hole in my garage or what!

The 47 is in VA....

The old 47 has surfaced near Virginia Beach, VA on Craigs. And sadly appears to be in exact shape as the above photos. Atleast its still above surface & not thru the shredder!

I had this one stored here at home and Paul approached me about buying it. He bought it and it was shipped to Virginia. Last i'd heard he was putting it back together and i'd put him in touch with an Ohio buyer looking for this specific coach, and they're currently in negotiations to bring it back to Ohio.

Back