the 78 pressed into service one more time

Dan Herrick

PCS Life Member - Upstate Chapter President
I got a call this morning to tell me that my aunt had just "past on." I knew that she had made all her arrangements, she wished to be a direct cremation. So the only thing left was for her to me removed from the nursing home. I have worked with this particular funeral home several times before and knew that they would use their van to do the removal, that is until I called and told them that I wished to use my 78 MM combination. They agree that it would be fitting, so I took the 78 out of storage and made the removal. I am sure that my aunt would loved to have the MM used, last ride in a Cadillac not a chevy. I also know that it would please her even more to know that I was in on the removal. I have been taking care of her now for several years and now can say right up until the very end and beyond. By the way she was a young 93 years old!

it's nice to be able to do this. hope we can when it granmothers time. that is unless I go frst. then maybe she can take me.

You are a good nephew.. May she rest in peace knowing that you took care of her till the very end. Will you be making the trip to the crematory?

Our condolences to you, Dan, on the death of your aunt. As a former owner of this beautiful car, I am pleased to know it was placed back into service in such an appropriate manner for a family member.

Since this coach was technically moved from "in service" to "collector" status in 1987, it has been pressed back into service several times. Dr. Roger White, the car's second owner, used it for the funeral of a family member in Michigan and allowed it to be used on occasion when the Macken Funeral Home in Rochester, MN needed a second coach. During the time I owed it, we used the '78 on three funerals.

Further adding to the sentimental value we as collectors place on these cars is the opportunity to proudly press them back into service in the manner they were designed for.

Caring for the deceased

Dan, I'm very sorry for the loss of your aunt, but I'm thrilled that you were able to use your car for her removal.

When my father died at 2 AM in the nursing home, I was not in a position to use my car. However, I did assist with the removal, and the young fellow doing the removal was extremely professional and thoughtful. As we zipped up the removal bag, he even paused so that I could give dad one last kiss. That meant a lot, as you can imagine.

Of course for the funeral my '54 Eureka came out in full glory. I spent the entire previous day detailing the car and it looked great. While loading dad in the garage of Klaehn Funeral Home (the Victorian toured during Fort Wayne PCS 1995), all the directors and assistants were there, never having seen a side loading hearse in action. ELECTRIC side loading, too! The procession to the cemetery got lots of looks passing through downtown Fort Wayne, and it was a complete honor for me to even help push dad into his final spot in the mausoleum, right next to my sister, whom many will remember from PCS Minneapolis.

Some will remember my father attending many PCS International Meets, most often driving my '76 S&S Victoria, but once driving the '76 S&S Professional Ambulance I used to own to the Pittsburgh PCS Meet, 1994, I think. I don't want to diminish the subject of your aunt's passing, but I hope you won't mind me posting a few photos in memorial to both dad and my sister. Tom

Attachments

• 76_dad_2.jpg
    76_dad_2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 142
  • dad_tom_barb.jpg
    dad_tom_barb.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 135
Back