Product Review - Envirorust Rust Remover

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Yesterday, I tried a new rust removing product called Envirorust Rust Remover on some of the 1963 Chrysler parts. After soaking the radiator fan shroud in the solution for about 24 hours, it removed all the rust and rust scale down to bare metal, but didn't harm the factory paint that remained on the part for for the last 46 years. I was very pleased with the product, and since it is also non toxic, biodegradable, and water soluble, it is perfect for restoration use. What makes this product even better is that it has a mild de-greaser in it also that will cut through the thin layer of grime that might be left after you do the basic cleaning of the part. I also put the bolts into the solution, and they were very rust encapsulated, and they came out with the original black oxide finish that was originally used on these parts. This is because after the Envirorust product removed the rust, it continued to draw the carbon to the surface of the metal, without harming it. After removing the parts, I washed them down with cold water, and a soft bristle brush to remove any residue of the product, and then set them in the sun to dry. Now, all that is left to do is to prime and paint them.

Attachments

• MVC-002L.JPG
    MVC-002L.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 237
  • MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 213
  • MVC-001L.JPG
    MVC-001L.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 216
  • MVC-004L.JPG
    MVC-004L.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 231
I also had a spare generator bracket that was badly covered with rust, and that went into the cleaner also. I had tried to clean this part using dish washing detergent to get all the grease off of it, but it was badly covered with rust also. on the back side. You can see the bare metal spots where the bolts protected the metal from rust, and they are silver in color. Where the rust was, it is has a black oxide finish to it. This part is pocked with pits from the rust, but should look good once it has some paint on it..

Attachments

• MVC-006L.JPG
    MVC-006L.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 231
  • MVC-007L.JPG
    MVC-007L.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 244
Where did you find it?

Looks like this stuff works really well. Where did you find it? I did a google searh and could not locate it. This is a product that I could use right now. Thanks for the review.

It is sold at Tractor Supply, a East Coast chain from Tennessee. You can also purchase it at your local Harbor Freight Store. Item number 96431-OVGA $19.99... Also available at your local Fastenal in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers.

While you are out, stop into your local Walmart store, and purchase a covered Rubbermaid container, and a plastic funnel. Use the container to soak your parts, and then when you are finished, you can pour it back into the container. If the fluid gets dirty, then run it through some cheese cloth or a disposable paint filter. The stuff does evaporate if you leave the container in the sun. Don't forget to post some before and after pictures..

I did not look this one up. is it one of the dissolvers or converters. Navel jelly works by dissolving. but try to keep it wet. the only draw back with this one is having to soak the parts. works good for small parts. for bigger one a kids wading pool or plastic sled and cover it to keep the liquid from evaporating would work. the fact that you can re use it makes it worth a lot. most of the products you have to throw away. they had the dunk tanks that were heavy with the hot rods for cleaning the old bodies. sometimes there were a lot less car came out then went in. but there main stay was doing steam radiators and now most of them are out of business. now redo that shroud. in the first picture you can see some still around the cage nut. funny how the flash shows it right up but you can't see it with the naked eye.

Tried it - I liked it!!

Paul, tried the rust remover out. It is called by a different name here ar Harbor Freight - Evapo-Rust (same graphics and price though). Took a while but did a great job. Soak a while then copper brush then soak again. Did not mess up the pre existing finish and got down into places I could not get to other wise. I did the ashtray, which in a '51 is deep and was very rusty inside & out. Also did a trial on the accessory exhaust deflector shield from my other car. Unable to post attachments according to the site but take my word for it the results are worth the price. Good thing too is non toxic & reuseable. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for the tip, Paul. I bought a gallon at Harbor Freight and am trying it out on some small parts. I still want to get a glass-bead set-up, but so far this stuff seems to work and maybe is less destructive.

my Gl is back ordered. but I did get the neatest 1/4 in drive composition ratchet and a promise Paul is the site getting a commission on these sales

Back