'71 CC axle interchange w/ '72?

The longer studs are because of the spacer that is used on the commercial chassis to accommodate the wider body that is installed on the frame. The studs are installed by GM. The rear studs from the limo will work on the front of your car, should you ever need them. The longer studs used on the rear, are difficult to find, since all indications are that they are specific to the Cadillac commercial chassis.

That was actually going to be my next question, are the longer studs available, one of mine has broken it has been broken since I have had the car, but everytime I take the wheel off, it is getting more and more difficult to get a nut on the broken stud.

The studs are not available, however, if you know a good welder, possibly he can marry your broken stud to one of the shorter ones from the new axle. The weld would have to be in the area where the spacer goes, but it is a possibility, depending on the skill level of the welder knowing how to do this.

Axles

Here are a few other options on the bearings, the National bearings can only be used with the OEM seal that I know of , the green bearing replaces the seal and bearing as one unit. How many wheel studs do you need? I probably have a few xtras.

Attachments

• DSC07818.jpg
    DSC07818.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC07819.jpg
    DSC07819.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 240
Here are a few other options on the bearings, the National bearings can only be used with the OEM seal that I know of , the green bearing replaces the seal and bearing as one unit. How many wheel studs do you need? I probably have a few xtras.

Thanks for the pics, always good to see the different types.

I only need 2 wheel studs, I can get away with the others for some time!! It would be great if you have couple spare.

Thanks again.

Hi guys another query.

When the half shaft pulled out off the diff the splines come to rest on the adjuster nut of the diff, tearing it apart, it hasn't moved and everything is still solid, but there is a hell of a lot of filings in the diff now, I have flushed it several times and as I said earlier I have driven it 500 miles, but now I have another diff, I'm debating about swapping the whole diff. Are the diff ratios between the Limo and CC the same??? Is it marked anywhere on the casing, if so where would I find it?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi guys another query.

When the half shaft pulled out off the diff the splines come to rest on the adjuster nut of the diff, tearing it apart, it hasn't moved and everything is still solid, but there is a hell of a lot of filings in the diff now, I have flushed it several times and as I said earlier I have driven it 500 miles, but now I have another diff, I'm debating about swapping the whole diff. Are the diff ratios between the Limo and CC the same??? Is it marked anywhere on the casing, if so where would I find it?

Thanks for all your help.

I would think the ratios would be the same but not sure. At any rate if you have alot of filings I would replace it. 500 miles is no where near of enough distance to see if it is ok, it may take some time for it to be noticable. What happens when you decide to put 500 miles in one shot? Would it heat up enough to damage it more, or over time will it stress it enough to make a dangerous situation? I wouldnt chance it.
Just remember even a car engine will run fine for a while without oil, and then boom.

The filings will eventually take out the bearings, and the ring & pinion. Take the whole thing apart, wash out both sides of the tubes, and clean everything. Best way to do this is with kerosene and a lot of rags. I had to do this on one of my cars when I purchased a replacement differential, and there was dirt in the pumpkin as a result of someone loosening the nuts that held it closed. It isn't a difficult job, but it is a messy one.
The ratio's are the same from what I can tell.

Seals and bearings...

I talked with Paul the other night about quite a few things, one of them was rear wheel bearings and seals for my car. He said to contact Green Bearing, and I will try to do that. Daniel, where did you get the bearing/seal you are holding in the photo in the few posts above? I see it says '70-'76 on it, but I wonder if they do make one for my '68? Does anyone know what the part number for the bearing/seal combination is for a '68 CC/75 rear wheel bearing like the Green Bearing box that Daniel is holding?

Back