help

my 1990 caprice eureka has the factory wire wheels(hubcaps). they are held on with a center screw that attatches to a bracket mounted under the lug nuts. I have had lots of rattles and want to replace them but do not know if or what can be done. ive tried other hubcaps and they either wont stay on or fall of in 4 feet of travel. any suggestions? would like regular hubcaps that would stay on.

Kyle, I went to some aftermarket 1990 Caprice style wheel covers. They may have made the Superior look a little more plain, but I am not a fan of wire wheel covers...

Attachments

• 90SuperiorChevyDorsey.jpg
    90SuperiorChevyDorsey.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 232
A lot of times the rattles are coming form the emblem cap that covers the center screw. Try running a bead of silicone or gasket sealer in the back of the emblem, allow it to dry for at least 24 hours before re install, and see if that helps. I had many rattles on my 85 Eureka Pontiac wire wheels and this solved them all. Its worth a shot, and a cheap place to start.
Also there is many parts to these caps, make sure all the screws and spokes are tight. Warning, do not take out all the spokes, I did that once because I thought it would be easier and better to clean and it was a nightmare to get it back together!! Dishwasher works much better!
If you do decide to get rid of the wires, and they are mint condition I may be interested in them.
cap.jpg

Chevrolet offered the black center caps with Caprice on the black center. These black center caps were standard equipment on most of the cop cars 88-92. They were prone to flying off especially in police use. The plastic ebay replacements are similarly prone. The cure is in your hand discovered by The New Jersey Turnpike Authority shop. If you decide to go with the black center caps keep the wheel mounts that hold your wire cap on get a nice stainless steel bolt to fit the center drill a hole in the black center install bolt you will never lose a cap they never did. That said Johns idea with the silicone is a good one for the wire caps they usually are not that rattle prone. We sent many 88-90 Caprice Broughms to Saudi Arabia and this was not an issue with them. If your Coach was made from a wagon there is yet another option wagons have the big bolt circle same as all 91 to 96 cars so any of the aluminum wheels from Caprice,Roadmaster or Rear drive Cadillac will fit. The Caprice wheels are very attractive. I may still have a set of real Chevrolet black center Caprice caps I can check if you wish. The aluminum Caprice wheels should be an easy find in local yards

Also another thing to look for is where the outer "rim" of the wheel cover contacts the wheel. Sometimes the wheel cover will "walk" back and forth on the wheel while being retained by the center locking bolt. IIRC there were some wheel covers that had spring fingers to hold tension to the wheel, some had plastic block-like parts to hold tension.

If the center bolt fix doesn't correct it you might try a vacuum or fuel hose split in half and added to those contact areas as a shim. There used to be a GM bulletin about wheel cover noises, but that was about twenty years ago and the bulletin has probably been long removed from the system.

Back