Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Website Member

Thanked 2,086 Times in 852 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 72 Cadillac Factory Manual

Just wanted to get an opinion before I spent $100.00 on a REPRINT of the 1972 Cadillac Factory manual.......is it a good investment ??
I do have the 72 SUPERIOR Parts and Service manual.....
Does the factory manual cover commercial chassis as well ??
Thank you for the help....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,696 Times in 3,831 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

It is a good idea, but not at $100. The factory service manual covers the mechanical side of the vehicle, and the Fisher Body Manual covers the body itself, of the parts that were originally manufactured by GM. The body parts made by GM consist of everything forward of the windshield, the dash, and the seat frame. Other than that, the rest of the car is all Superior built. I have a lot of FSM's, and I never pay more than $25 for an original. I suggest searching eBay and also the swap meets, I doubt that there is going to be an immediate need for the information, since the car you purchased is in good mechanical condition.
The other books that I suggest that you look for is the illustrated parts manual and the companion parts number book. These are helpful when you are in need of a mechanical part, and want to find a factory original replacement. If you know the part number, it is a lot easier to find what you are looking for. These 2 books are on the expensive side, but worth it when you need that one elusive part. I had one spare, but sold it last winter to another PCS Member. Until you find one, I can always look up the part number(s) for you if the need arises.
Unfortunately, the Superior Parts & Service Manual doesn't have part numbers in it that are of much use, since they used their own part numbers for parts that they purchased from other sources. I never could figure out why they refer to that book as a Service Manual, since it doesn't cover any service proceedures, only parts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
James Fischer (04-04-2012), Jim Staruk (04-04-2012), John ED Renstrom (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Website Member

Paul,
Thank you very much for the information and your opinion !!
I agree with you,there is not much "service" information in it...however still a good source.
I will keep my eyes open for the other manuals you suggest......
I appreciate your offer to help with parts #'s etc.....
The car is scheduled to arrive today between 5-9pm.......
Looking forward with great anticipation !!......
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fisher View Post
.....The car is scheduled to arrive today between 5-9pm.......
Looking forward with great anticipation !!......
What car are you talking about?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,696 Times in 3,831 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Have your camera ready with lots of help to document its delivery. Photograph any damage to the car before it is removed from the truck if possible. The camera is the best way to do this without getting into a discussion with the driver of the truck before hand. Once it is on the ground, then you can ask him about any damage. I suggest that you have a reliable witness to all conversations. If there is any damage, you will probably hear "that is the way it was when I picked it up". Also take a picture of the license plate on the trailer and the tractor for future referance, and note any and all damage on the bill of lading before signing it. A comment about "hidden damage" is also prudent. Truckers hate when this happens because it makes it harder for them if you persue a claim for damage. No matter what, don't get into any discussion with the driver before it is off the truck, because he might leave with your car on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (04-04-2012), Rich Koski (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Have your camera ready with lots of help to document its delivery....
This is also a great time to shoot the undercarriage of the car while it's still up high on the carrier.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Website Member

agreed...My neighbor is a retired "muffler" shop owner..and of course he does side jobs.....so I am fortunate to have use of his 7' rack.......not to mention free muffler repair.....I am sure it will be on the rack this week-end...........