'81 Superior questions

Hey guys!

I have some tech questions about my 81 Superior Cadillac. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the 368 may help.

First off is when i first start it, it sounds like it has a large exhaust leak. The car runs somewhat rough. As it warms up it goes away and the idle smooths out. Any idea of what this may be? It sounds like its at the front of the engine. That's a bit perplexing to me.

Also, the rear interior lamps will not go out. Anytime the battery is connected they come on. The cabin compartment lights come on as supposed to when the front doors open, but the rears do not go off. Could it be the switch at the rear door? I dread electrical gremlins, but I'm wondering where to start.

There's a couple other ??'s but lets start with that haha!

Thanks alot guys!

Paul.

Hello Paul. I of course can't guarantee that my answers are exactly right for your car, but I can tell you some of my experience with my 1980 Superior with the Cadillac 368.

I had the rough idle/large exhaust leak issue myself a couple years ago. I was lucky. It turned out simply to be that the exhaust manifolds had worked themselves loose. Simply retightening the bolts solved it for me.

As for your rear lights, replace the switch in the door jam that works the lights. While those switches normally fail in the "off" position, failing in the "on" position is not unheard of. Actually, before you even replace the switch, try spraying some lubricant into the switch. It might just be stuck internally even if the outside of the switch appears to work.

the switch is the first place to start. the lights work by switching the ground. so it is mot likely a wire off and touching the body. most have one switch for the back up and one for the over head. now I have talked to a number of them and none have answered me. so it's a take it apart and find out why kind of thing.

Back