base clear anyone

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
or I guess I should say why i don't like base clear. be grinding away on this 73. decided to blow the dust off. boy am I glad I'm going to repaint.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6gCNr1CkEk[/ame]

Paint

No clear for me!

60723956.jpg

90933436.jpg

acrylic laquer

My 61 MM was finished with acrylic laquer. Does anyone paint with this anymore? Is it even made today? I have never been a fan of the base coat clear coat jobs. Maybe that is my age showing. The time is near for new paint. As much as I hate to let go of the original it will have to be done. After 48 years there are chips, cracks and scrapes. Of course the paint is only part of the job as then the chrome will have to be redone too.
Maybe next year.
Mike

Dan put that car away!!! your setting a standard with it that is vary hard to match. Jim is talking about silver and black top. tell me again were you got the wrinkle paint in quarts. I'll get some and try it out on this 73.
Mike getting Lacquer is not hard but it is expensive paint now. there are a few lines of it out on the market. but if I wanted a really nice smooth finish on a car and the money was not all that important I would go with one of the polyurethanes. it's more of a commercial type paint used a lot on aircraft but it is one nice finish when it is applied correct.

Paint

Dan put that car away!!! your setting a standard with it that is vary hard to match. Jim is talking about silver and black top. tell me again were you got the wrinkle paint in quarts. I'll get some and try it out on this 73.

It came out pretty darn good.:)
11303503.jpg

Jim I ordered the paint tonight $48.00 a quart. dDan how much paint did you use on your roof?

John it was 4 qts just be safe. We have to redo the sides as it is hard to get 2 coats on the sides without it running. We are good to reshoot the sides .
41467558.jpg

95644585.jpg

Hey, Ed is doing videos now "congratulations". The coaches are beautiful especially the 71.

If Ed needs another project car, just let me know.

Back