1991 Eagle coach

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
Greetings from Ohio,
Today was a very good day. Any day you spend chasing something with wheels is a good day. Dwayne Brooks and I spent the day going to Indiana to get a 1991 Eagle coach. Dwayne will be posting pictures later. He needed to get home with the 'new' toy and get some sleep. He has been up for 2 days now with his work schedule. I have already told him if buyers remorse sets in I will be glad to help him out. This is a very nice 91 coach.
We left Dwayne's just after he got home from work this morning. It was nearly 5 hours to Butler Coach to make this deal happen. Made for a long day but well worth it.
Dwayne will fill more details with the pictures.
Congrats to Dwayne on the purchase of one of his dream coaches.
Mike

I called Mike and asked if he felt like a road trip. Of course he's ALWAYS up for a road trip so off we went to Butle Coach in Carbon, Indiana. I'd dealt on a 1991 Buick hearse by Eagle and we were both excited to get there!

I've been in the market for a "driver" hearse all spring/summer but hadn't seen anything that sparked an interest, but did try to buy Brad Ross's Superior and Rocky's Eagle with no luck... so went on a quest for an Eagle because I didn't want commercial glass this time.

We finally found Butler Coach and were really made to feel welcome by Ron King. Mike and I walked around and took some photos of an old 1983 Mercedes Grazia Hearse they have for sale for $2500:

1983_Mercedes.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

After driving the Eagle I really liked it and asked Mike his opinion... he said "What's there to think about!" because he likes it as much as I do. So I asked Ron if they have any old coach nameplates left behind over the years and he said they did... so I said to throw in a set of nameplates and we have a deal. While preparing to leave I asked about the old gurney... Ron said "Load it up and get it outa here" so Mike and I wrestled it out of the barn & into the hearse too!
IMG_1585.jpg

The ride home was a pleasure, the coach drives well and loves the freeways. The mix & match tires made the ride a little rough... but you know me, they ended up in a nice neat stack today anyway.

So here she is... my newest hearse!!!

IMG_1588.jpg

The wheels were NOT an easy fit. I had to trim the inner lip of the rear quarters for clearance with a die grinder. Was pleasantly surprised to find they are mostly fiberglass.
THANK YOU so much for riding along Mike! It would have been a boring trip without you... especially after working all night and then driving 11 hours!
IMG_1587.jpg

If anyone has ever considered shopping Butler Coach, I highly recommend them if you're ever in the market for a new or used hearse!

http://www.butlercoach.com/

91 cleans up

Dwayne,
You seemed to have got a lot done after a bit of sleep. A little soap and water did wonders. One reason I like this coach is that it is a Buick.
I have the cure for buyers remorse if you come down with it.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
When is the next trip?
Mike

Very handsome Eagle Buick, Dwayne! What was that limo-style hearse behind Mike in the shed? Looks like a Buick something, previous generation to yours. That Italian bodied Benz looks like their take on a M-M Eterna!

Very handsome Eagle Buick, Dwayne! What was that limo-style hearse behind Mike in the shed? Looks like a Buick something, previous generation to yours. That Italian bodied Benz looks like their take on a M-M Eterna!

That's the Mercedes John. They have had it for many years, took it in as partial payment on a hearse and no one has expressed interest in it yet. Figured it might spark some attention on here... the price is right and it's a British import yet it IS left hand drive like our cars. Paging Patrick Martin... you like the one of a kind coaches!

I can't say for certain, however, the Mercedes looks like one that was owned by a funeral home in Shrewsbury MA. It was gray back then, and that is about all that I remember about it. I inquired once to learn what became of it, and all that they knew that it "went out west" after it was traded.

I can't say for certain, however, the Mercedes looks like one that was owned by a funeral home in Shrewsbury MA. It was gray back then, and that is about all that I remember about it. I inquired once to learn what became of it, and all that they knew that it "went out west" after it was traded.

but everything is west from you!. if it went east it's a reef.

I had plans on looking at the Mercedes years ago, but was told it was pretty rough. So, how did it look in person?

I had too. I didn't hear it was rough, but it just didn't pan out at the time. I'm actually surprised they still have it. I had forgotten all about it, but I think it's a fascinating coach.

PS Congrats on the new coach Dwayne! :)

I wouldn't say it's rough, but it does need some love. Everything appears to be all there and it appears very solid. They have had it stored indoors for years and I took a couple more pictures in case someone here has an interest. It certainly would be a unique hearse, we really liked the styling of it. I hope this sparks an interest and someone in the PCS takes it on.
$2500 is the price, however they have had this hearse for years and may bargain a little like they did with my Eagle. You just never know until you set up a time to view it... cash and an empty trailer can land a bargain here guys!
Check out the wall lights, they were very unique. It does have a rear hatch loading door. Didn't ask if it runs or if it's a diesel, but for the money it would be a really nice project. Here's the other photos I took:

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

I wouldn't say it's rough, but it does need some love. Everything appears to be all there and it appears very solid. They have had it stored indoors for years and I took a couple more pictures in case someone here has an interest. It certainly would be a unique hearse, we really liked the styling of it. I hope this sparks an interest and someone in the PCS takes it on.
$2500 is the price, however they have had this hearse for years and may bargain a little like they did with my Eagle. You just never know until you set up a time to view it... cash and an empty trailer can land a bargain here guys!
Check out the wall lights, they were very unique. It does have a rear hatch loading door. Didn't ask if it runs or if it's a diesel, but for the money it would be a really nice project. Here's the other photos I took:

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly at this time I dont have the extra cash, but it makes me wish I went to look at it for myself when I thought about it before, I may have brought it home.
I too am suprised he still has it and I hope someone here gets it, it will stand out in a sea of Cadillac procars.
Dwayne, congrats on your coach, those buicks are nice and if it has the LT1 350 will run forever.

Back