1962 Eureka rear end swap

Aloha
The ¾ ton (GMC?) rear end on my 1962 Eureka Hearse is failing and I want to swap it out for a rear end that is the studs to axel type not the old truck type that mine is that has the drums pressed onto the hub with the wheel studs. If there is a ¾ ton truck late 60s or early 70s like a GMC 2500 that will fit right in that would be less work and cheaper for the shop to do.
Anybody did a swap? What rear end? Please give me your advice and ideas.
Mahalo Thank you Ricky Jones

having done this once you may be better off rebuilding the one you have. there a a few shops doing the ford rends that might be able to build up one and use axles that have the correct bolt pattern for the car.

Get the correct differential for your car, and you will be $$$$$$ ahead, even if it costs you $500!

Thank you Ed and Paul,

What differential is in it? 1960 GMC 3/4 ton?
Per manual I looked at the bottom side rear carrier flange for gear ratio.
It only had 04547 stamped on it.
Further up on the carrier it had 1473735 large stamped and the 6-25 small stamped.
14 bolts to remove the carrier pull out gears forward towards drive shaft (like a Ford?)

Could I use a diff from a 62 of other maker than Eureka?
Thanks
Ricky

NEVER rely on what is stamped on any rear end.
Jack up both rear wheels off ground and put a chalk mark on the tire that rotates when you spin the drive shaft.
Put a second chalk mark on the drive shaft.

Have someone observe the tire as you rotate the drive shaft.
Count revolutions of the drive shaft and take the tire 2 full revolutions.

Quick & dirty division on the shop floor with chalk will tell you the ratio. You only need to get close because ratios used by manufacturers are known and far enough apart to simplify the process.

Reading your original post you seem to desire to replace with an automotive type X rather than a full floating X. You should be aware of the limitation in weight capacity of an automotive X with wheel mounting flanges forged onto the axle shafts.

I suggest first determining which type is presently in the vehicle.
I also don't understand what you mean by the present X is failing.
Both automotive type and full floating are generally easy to rebuild on the vehicle.

Up to 65 the CC still use the drum attached to the axle by a splined hub. 69 Seems to have a few issues with axle bearings. That said you might chk the 66-76 CC diffs . The later ones might be a bolt in and gives you the advantage of easily removably drums.

OK back with Hollander news. Hollander number #449 is rear axle housing Cadillac Commercial Chassis 1957 to 1964 so they are the same for 7 years. As Mr. Scully points out 1965 is a change and more all the way up. The only way to prove if the later ones fit would be measure the distance between the center of the spring mounts side to side. Hollander doe not cover such adventures.

Yes Dan I want a later model for easily removable drums.
Not the keyed axle I as I presently have.

66-76 CC diffs . The later ones might be a bolt in and gives you the advantage of easily removable drums. Are the 66-76 CC diffs 3/4 ton GMC or what?

If I could get the end to end (outer drum to outer drum) measurements
for the 66-76 CC diffs then I could know if it will fit.

Thank you Walter. Understand need to use full floating diff.

Yes Dan I want a later model for easily removable drums.
Not the keyed axle I as I presently have.

66-76 CC diffs . The later ones might be a bolt in and gives you the advantage of easily removable drums. Are the 66-76 CC diffs 3/4 ton GMC or what?

If I could get the end to end (outer drum to outer drum) measurements
for the 66-76 CC diffs then I could know if it will fit.

Thank you Walter. Understand need to use full floating diff.

The commercial diffs are just that. About the only thing they have in common with a truck diff is the wheel bolt pattern.

Gm sourced things but as pointed out the GM commercial chassis is the same across the body builders. When i was looking for new springs for the 67 i found out that 57 to 76 used the same spring in the rear. So it would figure that the spring purch would be the same. All you would need to wounder about was spacing of the spring u joint size and e brake hook up. As for pick up 1/2 ton would be closer the 3/4 ton

Originally Posted By: John Renstrom
Gm sourced things but as pointed out the GM commercial chassis is the same across the body builders. When i was looking for new springs for the 67 i found out that 57 to 76 used the same spring in the rear. So it would figure that the spring purch would be the same. All you would need to wounder about was spacing of the spring u joint size and e brake hook up. As for pick up 1/2 ton would be closer the 3/4 ton.

So I just need to to know from tire to tire OD and compare to mine to see if it will fit in?

This pic shows the 3 basic demission's a, b, c you will need. Driveshaft might need shorted or lengthened , u joint adapted, flexible brake line changed or adapted. parking cables changed or adapted. Might also have to change the wheel cylinder size to keep the front to rear brake balance.

Attachments

• rearends10011-1.jpg
    rearends10011-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Dan however I cant get a picture like that shows driveshaft dimensions
for Hearse/Limo 66 to 76 and I wont be trying to change customize driveshaft length

What I need to know from other Hearse/Limo drivers of vehicles from 66 to 76 is their vehicle's rear tire to tire OD and compare to mine to see if it will fit in?

vehicle's rear tire to tire OD

What I need to know from other Hearse/Limo drivers of vehicles from 66 to 76 is their vehicle's rear tire to tire OD and compare to mine to see what year will fit in

When you have time Dan can you tell me the rear tire to tire OD of your 1965 C/B, Landau, 1968 Crown Royale 3-way and 1975 M-M Criterion?

Once I find one that will just fit in then I can start calling wrecking yards.
Thank you

What I need to know from other Hearse/Limo drivers of vehicles from 66 to 76 is their vehicle's rear tire to tire OD and compare to mine to see what year will fit in

When you have time Dan can you tell me the rear tire to tire OD of your 1965 C/B, Landau, 1968 Crown Royale 3-way and 1975 M-M Criterion?

Once I find one that will just fit in then I can start calling wrecking yards.
Thank you

Tire od should not be a problem, should be plenty of room. The demission's to pay attention to are c and b. The spring pads ( a) could be moved if needed. I have 235/75r15 on everything overall height is 29 inches.

Attachments

• rearends10011-1.jpg
    rearends10011-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 59
The cb doesn't use a commercial chassis. But the measurements you want are are not wheel to wheel as the will change with the different wheels the 68 up used a different wheel. You want to know axle flange to axle flange to get how wide it is.

Back