purple high beam headlites

Paging Chief Ron, Inspector Larry, and Russ

I'd like to hear what our resident law enforcement officers as well as our funeral directors have to say about the legalities and the useage of these lights.

Hi Rick!!

In Indiana a person is fine with any single color light [red or purple or amber] as long as the light is not turned on. Red/blue, of course, is reserved for law enforcement only. Blue by itself in Indiana is for volunteer firemen. In Indiana they use the word 'display' in the law and it refers to the light being turned on. As long as lights are turned off they are ok. It never ceases to amaze me that a police officer would actually take the time to even worry about some guy driving a 25 year old car with some purple lights on it. A cop who would do that definitely needs more to do during his shift. Police impersonators are one thing but nobody in this club in a hearse or ambulance is trying to do that. Common sense should rule here..........

I've read where some of you guys even cover your emergency lights when driving through certain states due to specific laws in those states, as well as "out of service" signs being displayed. Seems every state has their own laws on our lighting configurations & lettering.
It just seems like a good idea to have a "silent siren" article with you to show an officer in case they don't know the story behind them & why we have them on our cars. It may not get you out of a ticket, but would show an officer they have a purpose & you're not just playing around.

It never ceases to amaze me that a police officer would actually take the time to even worry about some guy driving a 25 year old car with some purple lights on it. A cop who would do that definitely needs more to do during his shift.
Agreed!

Probably at least 15 years ago, my step-father bought a 1971 Cadillac 54" high top ambulance. Every time we drove through town, we would get pulled over. Showed them the info page on the PCS, they didn't care. In order to drive it with the lights still on the vehicle, it had to have an emergency vehicle license plate. Or, all the emergency lights and the siren had to come off. None of these things were EVER turned on, it was just the fact that they were THERE. Needless to say, we got rid of it, as what good is it to have a vintage ambulance with empty light housings and no siren? That was just our luck here, hopefully you have more intelligent law enforcement in your area!! Good luck!

In Indiana a person is fine with any single color light [red or purple or amber] as long as the light is not turned on. Red/blue, of course, is reserved for law enforcement only. Blue by itself in Indiana is for volunteer firemen. In Indiana they use the word 'display' in the law and it refers to the light being turned on. As long as lights are turned off they are ok. It never ceases to amaze me that a police officer would actually take the time to even worry about some guy driving a 25 year old car with some purple lights on it. A cop who would do that definitely needs more to do during his shift. Police impersonators are one thing but nobody in this club in a hearse or ambulance is trying to do that. Common sense should rule here..........

I agree with Larry. In Michigan as Long as you are NOT using the Lights or Siren on a Roadway Etc They will not Bother You. Blue is Law Enforcement Only in Michigan. Green is Hospital Security and Command Posts. Red any Authorized Emergency Vehicle whether Public or Private.Purple Funeral Vehicles. Amber Snowplows. tow trucks Service Trucks and funeral Vehicles.
I have never stopped a Classic/Antique Emergency vehicle. I have checked it out to see what it was.

Russ

Back