Roof Vinyl

I think I found the body shop that I want to have do my windshield - but I have one MAJOR concern with them. They want to cut the vinyl back... the vinyl on the roof has no cracks or tears whatsoever. The only issue is there is some obvious bubbling under the front edge above the windshield. I don't want to recover the entire car, when the top is in good shape - but if I let him cut it, the top is ruined. He said that with the older vinyl, it can be brittle and can't be peeled back.

I am hoping Ed or someone with body experience can weigh in on this. Is cutting the vinyl really the only way to repair damage beneath it?

If you've got bubbling under the vinyl you've got rust. The degree won't be able to be determined until it's opened up. Depending on how serious it may just need to be cleaned out, treated with a rust stop and then filled, painted and have a new top put on.

I saw Ed's pictures of his former rust bucket prior to the repairs and it came out great in my opinion.

I have had this same problem

This problem of rust under the tops of professional cars is commom. I have had a few hearses, less than 5 years old, develop rust issues. While most of the back of "modern" hearses is fiberglass, there is always some metal around the rear window and other places. The best cure was removal of the top, repair the issue and replace the vinyl roof.

I would suggest trying to pull back the old roof in hopes of reusing it, with the expectation that it may break and then need replacement. While it may be difficult to consider this, a new vinyl roof is better than a poor rust repair that will only fail again.

start with one of the tire dressings and with the top clean spray it let it work in good and wipe if off. it's not a guarantee that it will work but it has for me. it will soften up the top enough so that you can peel it back and make the repair. then re glue it down with the professional grade weld wood contact cement. if it's a bad top it's a bad top but if it still looks and feels good it "should" work. if the shop is hesitant to make any attempt at salvaging the top try a upholstery shop. pull the glass and then upholstery shop could peel the top back. make the rust repair and then they can put it back down. put the glas back in. it will cost a grand to replace the top at least. and if there are some rust issues under it working it loose with a putty knife should not be that hard. getting all the shops that only do one thing together is some times frustrating. but if your welling to ask around you should be able to get the help you need. if the glass shop only wants to state it can't be done. find a different one as they ain't welling to even try. but a man that says we'll try will at least give you a shot. some times it won't work if the top is nailed down like a S&S it may not but just glued you can usually work lose.

Back