1972 Cadillac Hearse Brake Rotors

Tim A. Fantin

PCS Life Member
I purchased a 72 Cadillac Hearse and it has the wrong brake rotors. They are to small. I took one to the auto parts store and they matched it up to a deville rotor of the same year. Same size. Did the Commercial Chassie use its own brake rotors and if so were they used on something else? truck? etc......I'm having trouble finding anything.

GM did a lot of mix and match. 1/2 ton pickup in a two wheel drive would be a good guess. don't recall if the bolt pattern is the same or not. but a better bet would be the heavy duty police taxi full size car

Rotors

I purchased a 72 Cadillac Hearse and it has the wrong brake rotors. They are to small. I took one to the auto parts store and they matched it up to a deville rotor of the same year. Same size. Did the Commercial Chassie use its own brake rotors and if so were they used on something else? truck? etc......I'm having trouble finding anything.

Rock auto shows a listing ,but is out of stock at the moment.

CADILLAC 1972 COMMERCIAL CHASSIS 7.7L 472cid V8 Brake/Wheel Hub Rotor
Price
RAYBESTOS 5800R {#5800} Professional Grade Rotor & Hub; Rotor & Hub Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Front
Outside Diameter: 11.96
Overall Height: 5.024
Number of Bolts/Holes: 5
Bolt Circle: 5
Discard Thickness: 1.215
Vented or Solid: Vented
Mounting Type: J
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 5800

A regular Caddy is slightly smaller.

Bolt Holes Bolt Circle Diameter Diameter Height Solid/Vented
5 5.00" 11.86" 4.95" Vented
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 18027602, 19195696

Attachments

• 5800R-4.jpg
    5800R-4.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 284
Last time that I checked, they were still available through NAPA. I checked the Raybestos number on www.RockAuto.com and I suggest that you start calling around to see if anyone has it in stock, or can order it.

Here is the cross reference to other models and years from the Rock Auto website, however, I make no guarantee that the information is correct.

RAYBESTOS 5800R

• CADILLAC CALAIS (1968 - 1971)
    CADILLAC COMMERCIAL CHASSIS (1968 - 1972)
    CADILLAC DEVILLE (1968 - 1971)
    CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1968 - 1972)

Rotor

Last time that I checked, they were still available through NAPA. I checked the Raybestos number on www.RockAuto.com and I suggest that you start calling around to see if anyone has it in stock, or can order it.

Here is the cross reference to other models and years from the Rock Auto website, however, I make no guarantee that the information is correct.

RAYBESTOS 5800R

• CADILLAC CALAIS (1968 - 1971)
    CADILLAC COMMERCIAL CHASSIS (1968 - 1972)
    CADILLAC DEVILLE (1968 - 1971)
    CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1968 - 1972)

Napa Info Call your local store to chk availability.

Part Number: NB 4885515
Product Line: NAPA Brakes Rotors
Attributes:
# of Bolts : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 11.96"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.22"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.24"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor & Hub
Height : 5.02"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Vented / Solid : Vented

Last edited:
Report from Hollander Interchange Manual. Brake rotors, Cadillac 1968 to 1971 all use a Hollander number 1239 then in 1972 series 75 only Commercial chassis is not noted uses a 1239, all other 1972 use a number1418. Then 1973 to 1976 all series use the number 1418. There are no rotors before 1968 as Cadillac used drum brakes on all series.

so if it has the rotors off a Devill on it they would be the correct ones. if they are not 11 inch they are off something else

Not quite correct. They could be from a later model DeVille. This particular rotor was obsolete a few years ago, and then it was brought back to the marketplace. It appears that it once again has gone obsolete. There is a good chance that it will be reproduced once again, since it's reintroduction sold out in just a few years. As long as people keep buying them, they will continue to produce them. Once the sales slow to a point, that it takes a long time to sell out the last run, they stop production. We have seen this happen many times in the past, with such items as Commercial Glass windshields.

Hey Tim; Just saw this! I get most of my commercial brakes from NAPA or a local small parts house. If you don't have any luck- let me know and I will try through one of both of them. Cheers Kerry

Back