Illini Chapter's Coachbuilder Series #4

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
For the past couple years, the Illini Chapter has offered what could be considered an unusual fund raiser item for a car club, a model railroad car decorated for a coachbuilder. But they have been good sellers, so I'm pleased to announce that the chapter's 2014 model railroad car is now available. This year, in recognition of our annual meet being held in Minnesota, we chose the Northwestern Casket Co. of Minneapolis to be our featured coachbuilder. As in past years, these are HO scale cars produced by the Accurail model railroad company specifically for the Illini Chapter.

The Northwestern Casket Company was founded in 1882 and is still in business today. Although caskets have always been their primary product, they also briefly built hearse bodies in the early days of the auto industry, and one Northwestern hearse is known to still exist, mounted on the chassis of a 1915 Studebaker. Northwestern did ship and receive via rail during the early 20th century.

The cars are available in easy-to-build kit form at $19.98 each, or ready-to-run at $29.98 each, and are available in two road numbers. Shipping will be $5.25 for one car, or $6.50 for two or more. Checks or money orders can be made payable and mailed to:

Illini Chapter PCS
918 W. Colfax Street
Palatine, IL 60067

Or an online PayPal payment can be sent to superior1980@yahoo.com

Or, if you're going to be in Rochester for this year's International Meet, I'd be happy to reserve a car for you for pick up at the meet.

My sincere thanks for making this chapter project the success that it has been!

Patrick J. Martin

Attachments

• Northwestern_Casket1915.jpg
    Northwestern_Casket1915.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 225
Patrick !

YES PLEASE ! HOLD TWO FOR ME !

I will pick them up at the meet.

Thanks for the cool collectibles,
Darren

P.S. Hopefully you issue enough of these beauties for me to get a whole train load of cool funeral related box cars !

:thumbsup:

Back