A question for the electrical gurus

Tom Hoczyk

PCS Past President
As I've previously written, my '60 Eureka has a factory a/c system taken from a '62 combination. The generator, from the '62, was professionally rebuilt, and the voltage regulator is the proper one for cars with a/c. I've installed a VDO voltage GAUGE in the car.

With accessories turned off, car at driving speed, the voltage reads almost 14 volts. When I engage the air conditioning compressor, the voltage drops a full volt, maybe a tiny amount more. When I raise the blower speed to its fastest, the voltage drops AGAIN, by about the same amount. I didn't take a reading with the headlights on, but I can guess the results. With the compressor and blower both running, the voltage reads about 11.5 volts. My logic says that in these circumstances my battery is slowly discharging. Is my assessment correct? Do I have something I should be concerned about? Is some aspect of the system still faulty? There's not much I can do about the draw of the compressor clutch, but I've considered purchasing a replacement blower motor that might draw less amperage. What do you think? Thanks.... Tom

Tom, my same answer for any electrical ? in an old car, start by checking the condition of all the wires and cables and all the grounds. Then go on from there.

I had similar problems until I found what the issue was....

picture.php

it would sound about right to me. the blower on high will draw right at 25 amps.
with only a volt meter you can't tell if your discharging or not. but I would guess that your are. of course how often would you be operating under max load. headlights on high ac on and the blower blowing full. not vary often. thats how they got away with running a mechanical siren on a car with a generator, which only put out at the best 35 amps. non't run it all the time. make sure all your connections are the best you can be and your grounds are clean. then operate the car like you normally would if you did not have a gage. why do you think they never put one on. if you don't know you don't worry. but as long as its putting 12 volts into the battery your keeping up with the curent draw and thats all you need

The generator, from the '62, was professionally rebuilt, and the voltage

The 62 limo parts car I have had a alternator I used the 62 brackets but installed a late model internal regulated alternator on the 61 ,I thought all 62,s where alternators? My 62 is also a alternator. Where are you taking the voltage reading from?

Attachments

• DSC04080.jpg
    DSC04080.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04083.jpg
    DSC04083.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 91
  • 62 back.jpg
    62 back.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 98
Back