Oxygen Bottle Bracket Info Needed

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I sent Ed on a wild goose chase to chase down the oxygen bottle brackets that were originally mounted behind the front seat in my 1969 Miller Meteor 48" classic ambulance. He got the brackets, but he feels that there is more to this unit than just what he picked up. Does anyone have a picture of these brackets in a car, or any information about them?
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• bottle brackets.jpg
    bottle brackets.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 223
that what they look like just that they are a little bigger. one top one bottom. with the bottom being adjustable. they are labled and boths are about 24 inches long

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 217
The one on top has a yoke for the neck of the bottle,did they not have a strap metal that folded over and locked the item in or was that just for fire ext.

I would never intentionally pick a fight with Paul, but here goes..........I don't EVER remember a bracket like those pictured being used for oxygen bottles. Not in 1963, 1969, or anytime thereafter. The only brackets that I'm aware of Ziamatic making were for fire extinguishers and SCBA bottles, nothing for oxygen bottles. Any brackets I've ever seen for oxygen equipment were either chrome plated or aluminum.

Now to save face for all of us, let's consider the strong possibility that one of the "end users" of your coach, at one time or another got a little creative and made some "modifications" for whatever purpose. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that has ever happened.

Let's hear from the others.

Come to think of it, if it was for Oxygen bottles to be stored would be pretty useless behind the seat if the attendant needed it in the back,and its behind the driver in front,whatever it still looks to me to be missing a securing strap,do not want them flopping around loose,so with that Paul they are whatever you want them to be unless someone can prove differently is my vote.(poll-time).:smileflagcan:

Ziamatic made SCBA brackets, fire extinguisher brackets and hangers for smoke ejector fans. I know this because we still have them at the firehouse. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THEY DIDN'T MAKE 02 BRACKETS! Just have not seen them.

I sent the pictures to Ziamatic this morning, and they are researching this, and said that they will let me know what they find. In the meantime, it is still just a guessing game. :poster_oops:

To whom it may concern,

I'm sorry to report that the items pictured are not oxygen brackets.

Most of the o2 brackets used at the time were manufactured by Ferno-Washington (same folks that make the stretchers) and were brushed aluminum rings.

The rings fit around both D and E cylindars and the rings were tightened with (2) thumbscrews on the front side and a "V" shaped aluminum channel on the back side. The bottle and ring were secured by a "slide-in" track, usually mounted on the wall of the ambulance unit.

Most were by the passenger side rear door for easy access. They were also kept in wooden boxes and plastic cases.

Hope this helps!

Over and Out!

Rick

They're SCBA tank holders, for either the bare tank or the tank attached to the regulator/harness/mask so all a firefighter had to do was put his back to it, put his arms through the straps, tighten them & walk away. The tank was stored with the valve pointed down, just as it is worn, hence the opening at one end of the bracket. They took the place of SCBA stored in the manufacturers' case, which took up valuable cabinet space, and speeded the process by which a firefighter donned the apparatus.

Here are some photos of the large oxygen cylinder bracket in my 1968 M&M Classic 48. It appears to be set up for an M size cylinder. Valve was behind driver side seat. Looks like you could slid the tank in from either side. There are eight roller balls in the bracket to facilitate sliding in the tank. The hoop in the middle has a bolt that you tighten down to secure the tank.

I suspect the two brackets Paul had in the first photo on this thread are for some thrown together bracket where the Zico brackets were on either end of the cylinder. The one that is cut out is probably where the valve end of the tank was oriented. An M size cylinder would never fit in this, but perhaps an H size one would fit. Hopefully there was some kind of strap that secured the tank to the floor. Not at all safe!

I may have confused the M and H tanks in the description above. The bracket in my car is set up for the bigger tank size. I believe the Zico brackets could be stretched to accommodate the smaller tank size.

Attachments

• DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I know I drove 200 miles out of my way for them so no matter what they going to be O2 holders. any strap will do. not on this car there is a distribution point on top of the cabinet that drops down into the spare tire well. the O2 hose went from it to the high presser regulator on to the bottle. the driver could if necessary reach around and turn the bottle on. or turn it on when they got into the car. so it had a bigger bottle behind the seat but weather it was a H or M I don't know. we will play with this mount to see what it fits.

that set up Scott showes what what I was expection to pick up. Tony's 75 has a similer one. I beleve they are for a H bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_3356a.jpg
    IMG_3356a.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 154
I'm in agreement with the others, those are SCBA air tank brackets. I can't tell from the photo, but I bet the "Ziamatic" nameplate is mounted to face upward so the neck is down, which is how SCBA tanks are mounted. They snap into the curved arms - the arms are too big tor a skinny oxygen tank (try it).

Now could it have been used to hold oxygen? Perhaps. But I suspect whomever the seller was doesn't understand that firefighters don't wear oxygen tanks on their backs, they wear air tanks (there's a big difference between oxygen and air, but most people don't think about it).

the tags are as mentioned the top would be neck down if mounted on the wall the bottom upright plate down like for a extinguisher. but hay they were free!!! took them down to the O2 supplier and checked they on on the gas bottles. there is one long skinny bottle that it will fit. the man called it a Q bottle same size around as my tanks are but long as a M bottle. not way they will go on a M or H bottle. took these pictures the day of the power outage so here they are. and yes I know they are not medical O2 bottles a bottle is a bottle. the med O2 is filtered twice you cutting welding is only once. the brown bottle is filled with 75% argon and 25% co2 for wire feed welding. just checkig if there was a tall bottle they would fit.

Attachments

• IMG_5890.jpg
    IMG_5890.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5894.JPG
    IMG_5894.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 101
One appears to be for a fire extinguisher, the other for an SCBA bottle.

Today... Ziamatic, makes those lift devices that put the large tanks in ambulances, without you having to lift them in. Of course, we didn't get one b/c nothing else would fit in there, if it were equipped with one.

that was my thought as I looked down at them in the pickup I was told to go get them out of. the base is adjustable though. it is conceivable that they were used to hold the bottle laying down behind the seat. it was not how the manufactures probably intended them to be used for. smaller low budget services did a lot of inventive things. that was how they keep there none existing budget in check and still operated the service. we could use a little more of that today.

Back