Spot lights ????

I was playing with one of my spotlights on the Criterion trying to get it to work. I thought I would just remove it and install another one that I have. Man, have you seen how these things are mounted? Do they just slide in and out? And forget about replacing the inside components unless you cut wires. :pat:

Richard!

I'm NOT sure if this parts schematic will help you at all... but here it is!

See you in Albany!

Rick

"The other candidate for PCS President!":D

Attachments

• SCAN6660_000.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 274
If it's a Unity, you should be able to remove it fairly easily. There is a large bolt or screw in the side of the handle assembly you take out and the whole handle assembly slides off. Next there is a collar with a set-screw on it, remove the set-screw and it comes off. Next you loosen the screw on the outside that clamps the bracket down on the shaft, then the whole shaft and light comes out. Reverse the procedure for the new one.

I just had to troubleshoot one last night that wasn't working. It ended up being corrosion on the tip if the shaft and the spring-loaded part of the switch it contacts. Wasn't too hard to do. Works fine now, just keep track of the TINY screws that hold the switch in if you try to take that apart.

I have a good supply of New Old Stock Unity Spotlights.. What are you looking for?

the biggest problem with then is the switch and the rear contact as stated. most of the time the handle has just slid back and it loses contact. why no one one ever puts a splice in the hot wire I can't understand, but they never do. don't what ever you do take that bezel off the door. you look at that hack job they did getting that hole in there you'll sell the car.

I have a good supply of New Old Stock Unity Spotlights.. What are you looking for?

I'm just wanting it to work. I was just going to change the insides but all the wires are soldered making me have to cut and splice. Hate to do that but the guts from another one does work. Not that important.

I'm just wanting it to work. I was just going to change the insides but all the wires are soldered making me have to cut and splice. Hate to do that but the guts from another one does work. Not that important.

Soldering is not that hard, at least not in this application...you should learn. It's like welding for third-graders. You need maybe $10 in tools.

Richard, the only part that is supposed to be wired is the handle. The handle passes current through the shaft and it's just a press fit. So you should be able to remove the outer part of the light, and the shaft, and just leave the handle/wire attached. The switch sometimes goes bad, but usually it's just contacts.

I have seen wire splices on the wire leading to the handle. But for appearance sake, if you need to splice the wire, do it somewhere behind the dash so you don't see the splice.

Back