c coller

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
now then this piece of equipment is the first thing grabbed now days. but back in the 70's they used one of these soft ones. most ambulances didn't ever have one on them. when I put the one size fits all on nurse good body it's way to big and to short. she would take a small,:rolleyes: tall. just for fun I snapped a shot from the attendant seat in the 72 CB Seville. the no divider makes for the station wagon feel.

Attachments

• 1972 nurse good body and soft collor.jpg
    1972 nurse good body and soft collor.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 1972 seville from attendents seat.JPG
    1972 seville from attendents seat.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 146
I remember lots of variations in the C collars that started to be used back in the late 1960's. Some were made of foam covered with cloth, and others were plastic with a soft foam outer edge.
I think that every time we used one, and got a "free" replacement from the hospital that we delivered the patient to, they would have a new type. Those were the days that the hospital ER would give you a free replacement for just about anything that you used on a patient that you were bringing in. Back then we didn't charge, and our operating budget was under $10,000. We were even able to get enough donations back then to buy and equip a new ambulance every few years, using the old one as a trade. The towns folk were very generous, and appreciated having a reliable free ambulance service.

felt and stockinette C collars

When I started the hospitals had foam collars, plastic hard ones and the pink two piece Philadelphia ones that looked like they might actually immobilize a neck. We had the good old Ministry of Health approved collars that were one or two layers of thick felt stuck in a stockinette that kept them together and served as the tie. It was one size fits all!

"C" collar, what's that? Did we actually perform first aid on patients back then or just "Grab-N-Go!". I remember more of the latter.

"C" collar, what's that? Did we actually perform first aid on patients back then or just "Grab-N-Go!". I remember more of the latter.

That is because you, as an embalmer, have a vested interest to make sure that they don't survive... :batterUp:

Back