It has been saved!!

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
I have been laying low on this, but I would like to say with a huge amount of thanks to Dwayne Brooks for him taking the time off-and driving and having to be pesistant with the owner, to be able to purchase the coach for me. As some of you said the owner was hard to deal with at best, as Dwayne can tell you. And on top of it all he went with the towing to pick it up when Ohio was getting hit with a huge storm, they drove tru blown over roads, and people in diches to try to get there in the time the owner wanted to have it picked up. I also want to say thanks to the PCS members that directed me to talk to Dwayne, and the ones that offered to try to talk to the owner. I will hopefully get to dwaynes in the next couple of weeks and get it home. But it looks like i have some hard work ahead of me on it but i think it will be awsome when done. And as my wife says after her hot rod pickup im building for her is done!!! Job security i guess. Thanks again everyone and Dwayne!!!:071:

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 413
good piece of Hx there kept. I think we have determined that is is a Comet. you find out for sure let us know. it will be a sharp car once done.

Both Dwayne and i think it is a comet one of the signs we think is buy the rear quarter windows glass pattern it looks like the adds they ran. also here is a pic of the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 430
there will be a tag under the hood if it is. it may have been removed but you can at least see were it was.

Attachments

• 1958 comet 4.JPG
    1958 comet 4.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 423
I'm gonna miss seeing the old girl up there on 53. As you may know, this coach and I go way back into the early 70's. I'm glad she's going to a good home. Please post photos when you get her redone. The pictures of the guy's property says it all about his attitude. He's still got that old GM Coach (probably a Greyhound) sitting there. What a shame it would be to lose that one. I'm not into buses, but I'm sure somebody, somewhere is.

Never in my life was there ever a harder deal to put together! I drove up there a couple weeks ago with Rocky's cash in-hand because we already knew the bottom dollar on the coach. A friend of mine (who lives like 5 minutes from the coaches' location) offered to "go talk to the guy" since he knew the owner, but that never happened. After getting the guy to come to the door, I inquired about the coach & said I had the cash with me to make a purchase. After some discussion & sharing my passion for procars he knew I was serious & gave me a price after he had to "make a phone call". I offered the envelope at that moment (with the exact amount enclosed!) and it was another 2 hours plus of waiting for him to commit. He finally agreed ONLY if he could keep the hubcaps & air cleaner. As you all know the coach was stacked to the ceiling with car parts, so he said he'd get it cleaned out that weekend.
Well, then it was a "cat 'n mouse" game getting the tow arranged. I contracted with Ronk's towing to haul it for a set price, we just needed a date & time. After being postponed several times for a variety of reasons on the seller's end... I was getting NERVOUS! I'd spent Rocky's money, got a bill-of-sale, but no coach OR title. Finally D-day came... and while the rollback was coming to get me (in a snowstorm) the guy calls to postpone everything yet again. He was informed the rollback was in-route & coming home with the coach loaded by 1:30pm as promised, no matter what. After hearing about his GUN, his neighbor's GUN, etc., I quickly programmed Sandusky county's Sheriff # into my phone just in case (for REAL).
An hour trip one-way took over 2 hours, busting through drifted 2 lane highway @ 30mph the whole way! The seller was however very nice upon arrival & had the title as promised! We winched it out of the yard & headed home without incident. On the way home we were flagged down twice by people stranded in ditches, on their side, rolled over, we saw countless accidents but had excellent traction now that we were loaded!
His 22 foot rollback bed was FULL of coach... i'd told him to "bring the BIG rollback" because when they hauled my '51 Superior they didn't bring enough truck the 1st time. As soon as we were moving, the driver said "Dwayne, that guy DID NOT want to sell that coach!" We made it home just fine... and now this coach haunts my shop until Rocky can come get it. Sorry if i've bored you to tears, but this deal gave "the thrill of the chase" a whole NEW meaning!!! Rocky is a great guy & we've spent countless time on the phone filling him in on this guy's reluctance & all the obstacles I had to overcome to get the Olds. Congrats Rocky, you deserve it for being so patient.

I'm gonna miss seeing the old girl up there on 53. As you may know, this coach and I go way back into the early 70's. I'm glad she's going to a good home. Please post photos when you get her redone. The pictures of the guy's property says it all about his attitude. He's still got that old GM Coach (probably a Greyhound) sitting there. What a shame it would be to lose that one. I'm not into buses, but I'm sure somebody, somewhere is.

That old bus is a 1947 GM and is his pride & joy. He said he promised his family he was going to buy all new batteries for it & get it on the road by summer with some of the $ from the coach sale. He had a very funny story about a dog on a chain leash peeing on the bus while they were camping... since it's a positive ground system on the bus. i'll let you IMAGINE the rest!

Here too I'm stoked that this panned out. Gotta' love persistence!

Dwayne, slide yourself a piece of Grandma's carrot cake.

Btw, I couldn't have Photoshopped those colors any better. ;)

Rocky, congratulations on your new coach, that will be a beautiful car when shes finnished. As most people know, I bought my 67 M-M from Dwayne, and I have to say from first hand experience that Dwayne is a wonderful guy to deel with. He was willing to do just about anything to help me get my coach home. And even better, I made a great new friend in the process. Anyway, congrats on your new toy.:071:

Josh

Rocky, I'm glad you were able to make the deal on this car. I could not think of a better person to go to bat for you than Dwayne. He's a great guy and always willing to help out.

That's a great story!

Thanks for sharing with us "the rest of the story". Makes my Lifeliner buying/transportation issues seem pretty mild. No threat of guns anywhere. Glad everything worked out well in the end. It's amazing the lengths we'll go to safe these very special vehicles...sounds like a real team effort. Good luck with the resto.

Bill

1955 Oldsmobile Coach-My Thoughts

Rocky, your 1955 Oldsmobile is sure a classic coach. Jack and I have talked and after looking at all pictures have come to the conclusion that it was built by Memphis Coach Co. The reasons are exposed rear door hinges, location rear heater, no molding on partition glass, wood super structure of flooring. Fold down jump seats suggest this is a combination.

In 1955 my dad worked for Comet Coach Co. as a metal finisher. A body builder named Horace Davis built doors and if Waldo Cotner or Bob Bevington suggested using exposed hinges on rear doors he would throw a hissy fit. Comet Coach Co. would not build a door that way.

I would love to see pictures of your restoration progess, as I know this is a major project, will be a coach you can be proud to drive.

Tom Pinner

Rocky, Congrats on the save. What a great looking rig. I'll be outstanding when done. Try and keep us posted w/ pics.
Teamwork and friends - can't beat 'em. Dwayne, been there , done that and the mere mention of guns brings about some serious pucker power. My hat is off to you, you were still committed to a friend, getting to be a rare breed :clap:

Back