Phone(800) 326-7260

Approximately 23 miles from you.
    More Info Bronze Listing
  12. Joe Hotze Ford

Salem, IL
    Phone618-548-1711

Approximately 24 miles from you.
    More Info Bronze Listing

Ok start cringing...I pulled my 60(the one I just sold) about four hours home, alot of that on I95, on a uhaul tow dolly. Jerks at Uhaul had some special car trailer reserved for me a month ahead of time, verfied it would work by another hearse guy, and they didnt have my trailer when I got there to get the car.

I obviously pulled the driveshaft on the hearse loose from the rearend and secured it up out of the way. Im sorta anal about that.

Once I strapped it down, I ran acouple chains on it too.

I think a friend of mine will loan me a flat trailer it will fit on. I used to have a great hearse trailer right up until some jerk stole it. 7x18, rated at four tons, electric brakes, it was awesome.

Anyway I have jabberjawed enough.

Wow, it fit on a dolly? Ill be. All the dollys ive seen were to narrow. I cant say anything. I pulled my 69 5 hours home on a 16 ft landscaping trailer. Long story short. Hairy ride. Never do it again lol

2011-02-24000840.jpg

Danger Will Robinson!!!!!!!!

You guys are scaring me with these horror stories.Big risk takers among us. I don't want to see anybody get hurt(we're not talking "medicine cabinet hurt" we're talking "Intensive care hurt")

Not to mention damages to pro-cars,trailers and tow vehicles. Please don't opt for the cheap way out,it can quickly turn into a disaster.

remember,total load weight (towing vehicle,trailer,and vehicle being towed must not exceed the GVWR of the towing vehicle) I may sound like a broken record,but i'm just worried about you shoot from the hip guys.:blahblah:

Ok I have not measure a Cadillac commercial chassis wheelbase footprint in many years, and the last one was a 74 superior. I was under the impression they required a minimum 17 foot trailer deck.

I will partialy blame my tow dolly escapade on youth(22), exuberism, and being pre-cancer(pm me with any questions), I had a big ole brass pair on me then.

However, my new 70 will ride home on my 7x16 monster trailer, now that I know it will fit...duh on my part. It is constructed of 4" channell iron, currently being re-decked with 1/4" treadplate steel, snazzy new springs axles and equalizers, new tie downs, 8k electric winch, all that fun stuff. I have hauled 8k on this trailer numerous times before(dont ask unless you want another horror story), and after its rebuild, I will have a solution. Im sure everyone will feel better if I pull it with my 86 F350 extended chassis dump truck.

Now that we have hijacked this thread beyond repair...somebody feel free to smack me. :batterUp:

I don't like what I see there at all. Very scary ride.

Your absolutely right. Looking back i have no idea what i was thinking. This was years ago. I had never even seen a vintage hears in real life, let alone knew how heavy and long they were! Any time i need a pro car moved, i dont hesitate to pay someone with the proper equipment. I used this trailer alot at the time to bring home a couple Model a's, a few 57 Chevys, 41 Chevy coupe, and many other miscellaneous autos. I did use it one last time to get my 59 home. Another hairy ride and the last time i ever used it.

Your absolutely right. Looking back i have no idea what i was thinking. This was years ago. I had never even seen a vintage hears in real life, let alone knew how heavy and long they were! Any time i need a pro car moved, i dont hesitate to pay someone with the proper equipment. I used this trailer alot at the time to bring home a couple Model a's, a few 57 Chevys, 41 Chevy coupe, and many other miscellaneous autos. I did use it one last time to get my 59 home. Another hairy ride and the last time i ever used it.

Dont worry, i have done one scarrier than that. It worked out ok but was almost a disaster!! I was also very young and stupid!! I dont have any pics, but we hauled my 60 Superior 3 way on a 65 mile drive (little over an hour) We didnt think it would be bad, but the back tire footprint was just barely on the edge of the trailer, and when we got up to about 50 mph the whole thing began to sway and swerve, the trailer wheels coming off the ground, we thought we would flip the truck. BIG REALITY CHECK!! Once pulled over and checking our pants we finished towing it at about 20 miles an hour the rest of the way. It took about 4 hours to get home, but we made it with no damage to the car, truck, trailer, or us. I have always made sure I have the correct trailer ever since!! (My heart starting pumping just typing this and remembering the experiance)!

This is the way to do it. Share a few more as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzBkHotCyk[/ame]

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Deans1-1.jpg
    Deans1-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture027.jpg
    Picture027.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Criterion051.jpg
    Criterion051.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 167
  • AlbanyDay3007.jpg
    AlbanyDay3007.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
one can do anything if they want. nothing is safe when something happens. me I never had anything bigger then a 1/2 ton to pull with. been cost to cost. took the Seville from here to Albany towing with a Honda Ridge line. only had trailer troubles. like in Danny's case here it's the trailer that keeps the load safe. that fact that the frame was weak on his tow rig was the luck of the draw. had it been a one ton it would have had the same frame. decent trailer with good brakes and a equaliser hitch, the tow rig is just that. you can do it with a car. I gave up on a scabby trailer and started renting one from one of the not u-haul but equipment rentals out of rapid. 500 bucks for a weeks rent. took the 58 combo from Il to home on it towing with the Yukon. good combination. but could have used the equalizer to balance better. 18 ft doesn't allow you to shuffle around much and a none running car might as well be stacked iron. a 18 ft deck will put the rear wheels on the edge of the bever with the bumper just behind the rail. 16 ft have to get the bumper will over the rail to get the rear wheels on the deck. then if you jack knife the trailer you brake out the tail light in your 1/2 ton ford. did both 16 and 18 foot if I ever buy one it will be a 20 ft. in this case we need to get this car forward about 6 more inches to get the balance correct. but the spair tire mount stoped us from doing it. I like the looks of the traile Richard used for his 73

Attachments

• IMG_1028a.jpg
    IMG_1028a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 154
one can do anything if they want. nothing is safe when something happens. me I never had anything bigger then a 1/2 ton to pull with. been cost to cost. took the Seville from here to Albany towing with a Honda Ridge line. only had trailer troubles. like in Danny's case here it's the trailer that keeps the load safe. that fact that the frame was weak on his tow rig was the luck of the draw. had it been a one ton it would have had the same frame. decent trailer with good brakes and a equaliser hitch, the tow rig is just that. you can do it with a car. I gave up on a scabby trailer and started renting one from one of the not u-haul but equipment rentals out of rapid. 500 bucks for a weeks rent. took the 58 combo from Il to home on it towing with the Yukon. good combination. but could have used the equalizer to balance better. 18 ft doesn't allow you to shuffle around much and a none running car might as well be stacked iron. a 18 ft deck will put the rear wheels on the edge of the bever with the bumper just behind the rail. 16 ft have to get the bumper will over the rail to get the rear wheels on the deck. then if you jack knife the trailer you brake out the tail light in your 1/2 ton ford. did both 16 and 18 foot if I ever buy one it will be a 20 ft. in this case we need to get this car forward about 6 more inches to get the balance correct. but the spair tire mount stoped us from doing it. I like the looks of the traile Richard used for his 73

Not sure what size the trailer was that we used in my post earlier, but the part of the tire that touches the ground was on the very edge of the trailer, the rest of the tire was hanging off the end, not to mention how much car overhung! I know the trailer in your pic is a few feet than the one we used.

16 ft is really tight if you have a long tong you can do it but with a 3ft tong it's to close to the tow rig to make a tight turn then you have no adjustment room to balance your load as you discovered. the second time I rented that trailer they had moved that spare tire to the side and I could get the car forward the 6 inches needed to balance it. rolling down the road at the speed limit was stable. as you discovered having the trailer take command is not a fun thing.

Back