Dyna-Med Flier

I paid almost $60 for one of those smock shirt type deals... Wish I ordered one back then! I doubt I was even a twinkle in my dad's eye, though, at that point in time. Must pre-date the use of the star of life as a standard.

San Diego County

Steve L: The doors on the Econoline Van Ambulances have a round San Diego County Seal and although I have never heard of the "San Digueto Ambulance District" the area know as San Diqueto is roughly the area around Del Mar, Solana Beach and Encinitas (CA). Did Dyna-Med have any connection to JEMS and the outfit that has Kevin Lynch's old Criterion?

Dyna-Med if memory serves was out of Carlsbad Calif.every medics dream book was their catalogue,not that old Steve 40years ago I was a new medic of 3years service and scoured the catalogue like a canadian kid with the sears christmas wish book,most of our texts at the time came out of Ohio,any one remember who the golden hour Doctor was, I think I do but I will wait till someone says it correctly,and also,( hope this is right) James Paige....

Scott, not to be picky, but you've misspelled his name. He was Dr. R Adams Cowley. There is NO period after the "R" in his name. Dr. Cowley would have let you know in no uncertain terms that you had misspelled his name if you put a period after the letter "R". A period indicates it's an abbreviation for something, he would say, and the "R" was not an abbreviation, that was his name.

I met him, and have many friends of mine who were friends of his. And I was informed of this early when I worked at ShockTrauma, that was a mistake you DID NOT make, or you'd have HELL to pay. I never did.

The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center is named in his memory. And there is no period after the "R" on the signs.

Wayne, you got a misspelling, too. It's James O. Page. Or Jim Page. Jim was publisher of JEMS, fan of antique ambulances, owner of an antique rescue squad, and believe it or not, an occasional "lurker" on the old PCS message forum. By the way, the original name for the lead character on the TV show "Emergency!" was to be Jimmy Page in his honor. At Jim Page's request, it was changed, and we are all fans of Johnny Gage instead.

I think the folks behind Dyna-Med were behind the "other" magazine, "Emergency Magazine". That's gone now. And Dyna-Med is now owned by Galls.

Wayne, I do have a copy of "Emergency Rescue Squad - Ohio", that early textbook. Where I used to work, there was a whole box of them in a closet. I was lucky to liberate one copy.

Last edited:
Wish I would have had an opportunity to be corrected by him. His reputation made it to Minnesota. We have some EMS docs that are characters up here too. Ours is G. Patrick Lilja. "Pat" to most people. No one knows what the G stands for.

Just remember, Darren, those photos were taken 40 years ago, which means she is probably old enough to be ... Paul's older sister!

Steve........... Thanks for the compliment, however, please make that "my younger sister"......... :thumb:

Scott, not to be picky, but you've misspelled his name. He was Dr. R Adams Cowley. There is NO period after the "R" in his name. Dr. Cowley would have let you know in no uncertain terms that you had misspelled his name if you put a period after the letter "R". A period indicates it's an abbreviation for something, he would say, and the "R" was not an abbreviation, that was his name.

I met him, and have many friends of mine who were friends of his. And I was informed of this early when I worked at ShockTrauma, that was a mistake you DID NOT make, or you'd have HELL to pay. I never did.

The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center is named in his memory. And there is no period after the "R" on the signs.

Wayne, you got a misspelling, too. It's James O. Page. Or Jim Page. Jim was publisher of JEMS, fan of antique ambulances, owner of an antique rescue squad, and believe it or not, an occasional "lurker" on the old PCS message forum. By the way, the original name for the lead character on the TV show "Emergency!" was to be Jimmy Page in his honor. At Jim Page's request, it was changed, and we are all fans of Johnny Gage instead.

I think the folks behind Dyna-Med were behind the "other" magazine, "Emergency Magazine". That's gone now. And Dyna-Med is now owned by Galls.

Wayne, I do have a copy of "Emergency Rescue Squad - Ohio", that early textbook. Where I used to work, there was a whole box of them in a closet. I was lucky to liberate one copy.

Steve: The late Jim Page (and good friend) was also a National and So-Cal PCS Member and one of the founders of the LA County Fire Dept Museum. His son is currently a Captain at the Poway (City) Fire Dept. in San Diego. County. MM

Back