Steering box repair vs replacement?

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
I've got at least one leak in the steering box for my '73 Cadillac Lifeliner.

Is it better to just get a repair or replace it with a remanufactured one? Given the labour cost to do the repair alone, my mechanic says it's better in the long run just to swap a new one in (along with new rubber lines) and have peace of mind.

Also, is the box on CC the same as a regular Cadillac? The service manual states that the CC used a constant ratio steering gear (17.5.1) while the regular Caddy uses a variable ratio gear (16.0.1 on center, 13.0.1 at full turn). What does this mean and what's the difference?

Any preferred vendors that anyone has used (preferably on the West Coast).

As always, any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've got at least one leak in the steering box for my '73 Cadillac Lifeliner.

Is it better to just get a repair or replace it with a remanufactured one? Given the labour cost to do the repair alone, my mechanic says it's better in the long run just to swap a new one in (along with new rubber lines) and have peace of mind.

Also, is the box on CC the same as a regular Cadillac? The service manual states that the CC used a constant ratio steering gear (17.5.1) while the regular Caddy uses a variable ratio gear (16.0.1 on center, 13.0.1 at full turn). What does this mean and what's the difference?

Any preferred vendors that anyone has used (preferably on the West Coast).

As always, any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

You have answered some of your own questions by quoting the service manual. For more information, and to see some pictures, I suggest this website... I checked to see if this steering box is available from A1Cardone, the company that does most of the rebuilding. In this case, you will need to send your unit in for rebuilding through one of their distributors. The only other choice is to find a good "core" and send that in for rebuilding, and make the swap when the rebuilt one comes back. Make sure to remove the steering arm from the shaft before sending it in, because they will not return it if you forget. You will need a specialty puller to remove this arm.

Be cautious that you get the correct item if you are purchasing a rebuilt unit. Many places don't know the difference between a regular Cadillac, and a Commercial Chassis car. I believe that they will interchange on the frame, but not on the steering gear. I would have to check the parts book to know all the details. Finding a used one for a core shouldn't be that difficult, since it is the same from 1971 - 1976.

From the Rock auto website...
Reman. A-1 CARDONE Power - Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order.

Bill, there used to be a place in Seattle called Redhead something or another that rebuilt steering boxes. I'll see if I can locate any info on them.

Bill.. I called for you, and they have one ready to go for $246 US with yours in exchange.

Thanks!

Thanks Rick and Paul.

I've been quoted $299 Canadian for a rebuilt one in Vancouver BC. The rebuilder asked a bunch of questions and needs some data off the cap. He'll build it to the CC specs.

Paul...what are your thoughts of repair vs rebuild?

OK...I now understand the difference between constant ratio and variable ratio gearing. Constant ratio usually gives more turns lock to lock and feels the same through the entire range of turning. Variable ratio usually gives less turns lock to lock and changes the feel through the range. Typically feels "tighter" and sportier (as opposed to the CC).

repair yours with a shop as close to you as you can. when it comes back it will be rebuilt. if the shop repaired it correctly. vary little to go wrong with one. seals leak due to age and lack of use. seldom due to wear as the unit is full of oil under presser all the time.

Back