Hello and help looking for the air compressor: 93 fleetwood

Hi there. I found this forum while on the hunt for any info on fixing my hearse.

Specifically I own a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood hearse. the rear suspension is pretty low and i was wondering if anyone else here has any experience in repairing this issue. Even letting me know where to look to find the air compressor for so I can look for any leaks or see if it is even running would be a good start.

Thanks

The compressor is under the LT front fender. There is relay attached to the compressor. That is one of the usually cases of the compressor not running. But there are a few other items in the system to make it work. Best to pickup up a factory shop manual for it , has a excellent troubshotimg diagram. I,ll get some pics of the diagram when I have some time.

Thanks man. Where can I grab one of these manuals? Also someone suggested checking out the RPO codes. Not sure if that is helpful advice or not for the situation.

So when you say LT do you mean driver side front fender?

s Hello and help looking for the air compressor: 93 fleetwood

One on eBay right now.

There are about 10 pages on the shop manual on this system. Yes driver fender in the front. A few pics will help you get started RPO codes are just what items are on your car. I believe all 93-96 Fleetwood's had the level ride even the coach built models.

Attachments

• 20200505_155332_resized.jpg
    20200505_155332_resized.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200505_155401_resized.jpg
    20200505_155401_resized.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20200505_155411_resized.jpg
    20200505_155411_resized.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I guess a good place to start would be to check the fuses huh? the level ride light comes on the dash though. it stays on for like a minute then goes off again. nothing happens as far as the rear raising or lowering

The flow chart , says first add 300# to the rear. Turn the key on , it should rise. If not , most common problems are bad relay, bad pump , broken lines or the rear shocks are blown out. I would chk also to see if it has air shocks in the rear. A lot of these get replaced with normal shocks. Basic components are the air pump, lines, shocks and level sensor.

And does it say where i go about adding the 300 at? sorry to pester. the only car ive ever worked on before this was a 98 caravan so there is a lot of new stuff here for me

Put it over the rear axle , on the load floor. You can have a few friends just sit on the rear floor with the door open also.

find some of these weight bars.. Each one weighs 1 1/4 pounds.. You are looking at 680 pounds of lead.

Attachments

• weight box on BX22-A.jpg
    weight box on BX22-A.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 178
So checked all the fuses and no go. Compressor doesn't even run as far as I can tell. I'll start working my way down that trouble shooting list. Although a friend recommended just swapping the whole thing out for the Monroe air shocks. Has anyone else done this?

So checked all the fuses and no go. Compressor doesn't even run as far as I can tell. I'll start working my way down that trouble shooting list. Although a friend recommended just swapping the whole thing out for the Monroe air shocks. Has anyone else done this?

You can , then you have to manual fill and release pressure to adjust height. My 96 , the only thing wrong was the air shocks where bad. Replaced them ,system now works like it should.

Attachments

• 20180126_133652[1].jpg
    20180126_133652[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 115
So here was the end result. I got my manual and did some tests. Not only did I determine the compressor was dead, but both shocks were blown too. I was going to order new air shocks and run a manual fill valve but after doing some research, decided to go a different route.

We are using the hearse for a lot of catering runs. This includes large food purchases and hauling equipment. That being said, I went with some Load adjusting shocks (the kind that are used often for when you are hauling a trailer or a ton of extra weight.

I lose the ALC but the trade off is now I can haul what I need with less worry.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back