which radio??

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I'm up to cleaning one of these up and putting it in. so which one would be best in the 63? Brendon doesn't care and the only one I have ever used is the Motorola. but that was in the 70's I want to do the laying down and drill etc before I put the seat back in. getting down is bad enough with out fighting the seat to. I kind of like the GE as it's not one you see a lot out here any way. so any thoughts out there.

Attachments

• IMG_1814a.jpg
    IMG_1814a.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 273
The Motorola looks like it belongs in a 1969 Miller Meteor 48" Classic Ambulance...

The ambulance company I used to work for also ran a wheel chair van service. They had Motrac radios in some of the vans. This was in the mid 1990's. They worked great.

the problem with radios is they swapped easily from one car to the next and depending on when you get one would make the year of it's manufacturer not compared with the year of the car. so using the ten year rule for period correct. 5 years before the cars date to 5 years after. we had to use the motrac. the GE is just to new for the 63. now then I did not have the right speaker for the motrac. I gave that one to Paul. the plastic one is a lot newer. but a lot easer to find one of them then the whole radio. this is of course just the control head. the transmitter-receiver would have been mounted behind the spare taking up about as much room as the tire with a bundle of wires going to it the size of a air hose.

Attachments

• IMG_11841.jpg
    IMG_11841.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 179
I'll have to dig around here a little bit. I know I have some Mitrek's, other radio heads, a GE, and a ?? Motorola with 2 heads with headset for ambulance installation. Some work and some don't.

Mike

Like almost everything that is taken off of a car that is going to be parted out, the most important parts are usually left behind, like the mounting brackets. Removing 2 thumb screws is easy, but getting a screwdriver to remove the two screws that hold the bracket to the dash is a daunting task for some.

hay I'm winning that one right now. like I said what happened to all the brackets. why would you pull a old radio and leave the bracket in the car. I gave a buck at the state auction for a pile of parts that much have had 20 old brackes in it. loose never to be married up again with the radio. just one of those things you need to think about when you out in the yard removing parts. take it all, event the mounting hardwear.

Kenny Olson would know. He owns FM Communications in Buffallo, NY and has been in the radio business since the 1960's and the ambulance business at that time. The GE is not period correct. Kenny has a lot of old rados and could get you the right head. Even the motorola looks too new. In the early 1960s the mikes were metal and weight a ton. You can look Kens number up in the book or contact me and I will give you his cell. Thanks

Back