Rust Remover

Ron Devies

PCS Ohio Chapter President, PCS Vice President
So I get a call from this guy who bought an ambulance and wants to sell some equipment that was left inside it. So I go there and there was some stuff I can use. Now this guy is kind of an eccentric guy, I had never met him before and I don't know how he got my name or heard of me and as a matter of fact he called the PD looking for me. He had a couple International trucks, one he restored, (it was beautiful) and a 51 he is working on. Anyway he wanted to show me this concoction he has come up with for removing rust. He took me around the side of his barn where he had a five gallon bucket. He took the lid off and this awful looking black crap was in there. He threw some rusty old bolts in a old coffee pot strainer and put it down in the slurry and pulled up another one. The bolts looked brand new. He said he mixed murratic acid and gumout carburater cleaner together. Anybody else ever heard of this?

Yikes! Were you wearing a HAZMAT suit? Gumout has all sorts of methyl-ethyl bad stuff in it. I can only imagine what sort of toxic brew results when you mix hydrochloric acid with it.

But then again...if it works...

will we can say he didn't melt the bucket. but one would wounder if just the muriatic acid would work. the gum-out is a vary efficient cleaner. but to de rust pars you would not need the varnish remover. I'll stick to the evop - o - rust. it works. but now that i have found it in bulK'm back looking for one of those 30 gl plastic barrels I gave away.

I know of a person that used this formula and it has turned their brains to mush.. He they purchased a few pro cars, and is a police chief in Marlboro Township Ohio, and now posts regularly on the PCS Website... :wowguy:

will we can say he didn't melt the bucket. but one would wounder if just the muriatic acid would work. the gum-out is a vary efficient cleaner. but to de rust pars you would not need the varnish remover. I'll stick to the evop - o - rust. it works. but now that i have found it in bulK'm back looking for one of those 30 gl plastic barrels I gave away.

Did you find Evap-O-Rust in bulk locally or are you having it shipped to you?

yes there is permatex has a converter out as does a few others hardware store is the place to get it. but for me the quarts of rust mort from SME are the easiest to use paint the n on with a paint brush or spray them in with a siphon sprayer and you get good coverage. how ever the converters do not remove rust only trap it. but for inside panels it the best you can do. they all need to over coated with a oil base primer to have them work correctly.

I did notice he kept it outside the garage with a board over the bucket and a weight on top. I also noticed he has a persistent cough.

Back