One heck of an auto Collection

This collection is getting autcioned off in November in Illinois. I dont know who is handling the auction but one of the cars is a 1958 Eureka Hearse. The third video has a short glimpse of it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBJ962eRGc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47qCXxoKwk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZbDC4BakU[/ame]

That guy has had it for years, he never wanted to let anyone take pictures. It would take months toget that eureka out! its may be easier to remove the barn first and roll it out the back. I cant believe its finally going to get out of there and into mine.... or someones hands. I have more pictures of the eureka for anyone who ISNT going to bid against me!!

Nick

I'm going. I'm not much of a Ford guy, but who would not want a 40' Ford Deluxe Convertible? That's the one I'm after. I will give serious consideration to that 58' Funeral Coach after I look at it.

Mike

Wow, what a collection. I love seeing things like this but it's sad to see someone's cherished lifelong collection sold off in three days. Like Nicholas said, it'll take months to clean out! Wonder if they'll remove, catalog, and sell everything off-site.

Lee Roy Hartung was, by many accounts, a hard man to know. His renowned collection in suburban Chicago had little to no organization to it and was more or less open by appointment only. Yet collector-car insiders around the world recognized it for a genuine effort at preserving history and at curating some unique vehicles. Word came to us earlier this year that Hartung died back in May, and now Auctions America by RM has announced that his collection will go up for auction in November.

Contrary to reports published years ago (and which Hartung denied) that he would bulldoze the collection into a big hole dug on his property, the collection – amassed over five decades – remains intact and includes everything from motorcycles, bicycles and license plates to Model As, a unique twin-grille Lincoln, a Spohn-bodied BMW Veritas and an Edwards.

Here's Hemmings article about it, with several nice photos:
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/09/06/hartung-collection-to-go-to-auction/

Please post the chart...thanks!

hartung_03_1000-700x933.jpg

Wow !

That's a lot of stuff !

Maybe I better use this as a wake up call and slow down on my obsessive collecting habits !

I have to say I have a similar situation but on a smaller scale.

Sometimes I wonder how you get this disease !
...or if there is a cure out there for it !!!

Not that its a bad thing. At least I can say I have a problem ! That's a start.

I guess I better make a note of the dates and plan a week with travel on both sides of the 3 day event.

Who else is going ?

Darren

hording is one of the more difficult obsessions to control. this gentleman really had it. there is no way you could enjoy these positions and I would say there are things collected here that he has not seen in a number of years. just gathering dust and keep away from anyone enjoying any of it. only to be auctioned off now that he is gone. anyone buying one of these thinking they can wash if off an drive off in it will be in for a surprise. lot of good stuff turned to junk here. a crew could not move this stuff out in 3 days let alone auction it off giving anything time to bring it's true value. good luck guys I would rather go junkyard shopping. I'll bet most if it will be sold off the hand bill to be retrived later. get the cars out get them running so you can drive them across the block and they will bring the money. but that takes time and money to do it.

Mike

You're correct !

I have never tried any drugs, any alcohol or smoking ever...
but this collecting thing is hard core !

Ed

You are likely correct in your assessment for MOST of the cars, motorcycles and even the bicycles but there may still be a few treasures in there too !

Things like gas station supplies and signs are going to sell well. Things that can just be dusted off or washed are going to make this auction a lot of money. Toys are big sellers these days too.

I bet the real treasures will be sold at other up coming RM auctions around North America.

I would say that it will take lots of people a long time to just sort it out and move it to a very large arena to be auctioned off.

They could easily have 5 or more different auctions from that massive collection.

Cars
Motorcycles
Toys
Gas station supplies
Collectibles
Etc, etc.

I don't think it would be possible to sell everything in 3 days unless the lots were huge !

Just glad we didn't see the: American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Locker Wars or Auction Kings bothering the guy to get his cool stuff from him.

(I dig those shows but they are becoming a typical un-real reality show fast.)

Would be nice to see that stuff go to people who will enjoy it.
Too bad the guys gone but he must of enjoyed treasure hunting !!!

Darren

Should I be annoyed that he called it a "Museum"? I kind of take offense to that on behalf of all the real automotive museums out there. From all the articles I read on the collection, it was essentially his private collection, was not open to the public, and if I had to guess, was basically a tax shelter for his hobby. Even in its loosest definition, a museum is much more than just the acquisition of things....

Well Adam, you are probably right. There is no curator and there is obviously lacking a standard of care. Those vehicles were either driven or drug in there and nothing more was done. They even did not , at a minimum, dust them. All the other stuff is the same way. I hate that they laid boards across the hoods of the cars to pile toys and other junk on top of them. Most of the items are probably not cataloged nor are they arranged in a methodical order.

I would not call it a museum, but a collection of stuff by an old selfish guy who wanted things so others could not enjoy them. I hope that is not too harsh, but that is how it appears. Rumors of destroying the collection after his death does not help that attitude either.........:my2cents:

I agree, this is a personal collection, not a museum.

There are lots of stores along Queen Street here in Toronto that look the same way. They call them antique stores in most cases.

I don't know how they get the stuff out of the stores when a big piece of furniture is purchased.

Did he actually call it a museum himself ? ...or did others call it that ?

Anyway, it may have been a museum at one time and then he let it go and kept adding things. Maybe lot interest or became older and not able to keep it up.

Anyway, he had some cool stuff !

RIP ...he may be looking down and smiling that he doesn't have to move it all now !

Darren

Well Adam, you are probably right. There is no curator and there is obviously lacking a standard of care. Those vehicles were either driven or drug in there and nothing more was done. They even did not , at a minimum, dust them. All the other stuff is the same way. I hate that they laid boards across the hoods of the cars to pile toys and other junk on top of them. Most of the items are probably not cataloged nor are they arranged in a methodical order.

I would not call it a museum, but a collection of stuff by an old selfish guy who wanted things so others could not enjoy them. I hope that is not too harsh, but that is how it appears. Rumors of destroying the collection after his death does not help that attitude either.........:my2cents:

I think that your words are extremely harsh. I know lots of people that have purchased items that they felt that they wanted to have, and it was a good thing that they did, because if they hadn't, then those items might have wound up in the trash. I know of many people both in the PCS and outside of the PCS that might be called "hoarders", but I wouldn't refer to them as an
old selfish guy who wanted things so others could not enjoy them
That is a mighty broad paintbrush that covers a swath of people so wide that I can't find the words to properly describe them. When I am gone, then all my possessions will be sold, and others will enjoy them. In the mean time, they are mine to enjoy. In my mind, my garage is like a museum to me.. To others, it is a collection of old junk that deserves to be thrown out.

Tonight 4/17, Chasing Classic Cars (Velocity @ 10PM) new episode commercial showcases a collection/3 day auction that has to be Lee Hartung collection from last year.

And no, we're not doing a fantasy bid for the '58 Eureka. ;)

Back