Burned Dome Light

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
One of the dome light is burned out of my 67 and I cannot get to it. I have not been able to access the bulb as I cannot take the dome light assembly apart. The lens itself is made of glass and the base out of metal.

I'll post a picture later.

Any suggestions?

got to be a after market kind of thing. with out a pictured it's a complete guess. but I Would say if you cant find any thing like a small notch that a screwdriver went in to lift the lens, there are no visible screws then it has to be a push towards the base and turn kind of thing. most are counter clock wise to take off. with tabs that lock into a slot. but I have seen some that screwed off. the plastic lenses were a pry out with tabs that locked in to the housing if yous are glass lens then either the bezel the lens is set into pries out or turns off. guess work. I have found that if you brake one, how they came apart is obvious afterward. :rolleyes:

Paul is going to look at my picture posting problem (now try to say that fast 5 times) as soon as it is resolved, i'll post a pic.

Here is a snapshot of the said dome light.

picture.php

That is a standard GM dome light lens, and the lens is made of plastic. Yours might have become hardened as a result of age, but if you use a small flat screwdriver, you should be able to pry the lens from the metal bezel. You can purchase a new lens on ebay, however, you will have a more difficult time finding the star-burst design lens, than the replacement that GM started using in the later 1960's & 1970's. The star-burst design goes back the the late 1950's & early 1960's. The bezel also went from a metal product to a brushed chrome plastic unit about the same time. If I remember correctly yours uses a special bayonet type light bulb, #89, with two electrical contacts on the bottom.

Lens

That is a standard GM dome light lens, and the lens is made of plastic. Yours might have become hardened as a result of age, but if you use a small flat screwdriver, you should be able to pry the lens from the metal bezel. You can purchase a new lens on ebay, however, you will have a more difficult time finding the star-burst design lens, than the replacement that GM started using in the later 1960's & 1970's. The star-burst design goes back the the late 1950's & early 1960's. The bezel also went from a metal product to a brushed chrome plastic unit about the same time. If I remember correctly yours uses a special bayonet type light bulb, #89, with two electrical contacts on the bottom.

I think that lens has small tabs and you turn the lens counter clockwise to release from the slots , the 66 that Matt bought from me had the same lens in the back and I believe it came off that way.

like he said. before you try to get it out shoot it with a little wd-40 give it a good dose. let it sit say over night. use a good flash light find the tabs they are 180 apart. you can see them in the crack. put the blade right by one and rotate it just enough to move the tab out of the slot and then pull down to get it out of the Bezel. don't do it in the cold 15c or better. you might crack the lens if it has gotten hard. a little super glue in the inside will fix that. you can re make a tab if you need to. but if you get it off in one piece set in in a bowl and soak it in wd-40. this is about the only good use of this product I know. it will replace the oils in plastic and rubber . but if your going to do a repair do that first then soak it. you might think about replacing the bulbs with the Led ones. they are a lot cooler. most of these kind of lights were damaged by heat from people leaving the door open. but like Paul said it's a standard GM dome light

Back