Getting ready for winter

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
I know this has been discussed in previous years. But for the battery, do I disconnect just the positive wire or both wires? Or should I disconnect both wires, remove the battery and store it in a warm place? I also plan on filling the tank with gas, right? Jim

if your not going to be running the car at all and are storing it out side remove the battery would be in order. if it's inside storage just back in in and shut it off. either way you will be charging the battery up before you start it again. one out side tends to freeze at 20 below

Jim - I'm fortunate enough to keep mine in a heated (40 degree) garage- I use the terminal disconnect switches but keep a battery butler conditioner on all the time when they are parked even in the warm weather. Never any issues.

I am with Kevin. I keep mine in a garage at ~ 40 degrees and also use a battery tender. I have batteries 10 years old that still work great this way.

I am with Kevin. I keep mine in a garage at ~ 40 degrees and also use a battery tender. I have batteries 10 years old that still work great this way.

So is a "Battery Tender" the same as a "trickle charger"? I have 3 cars and 4 batteries...

Jim the battery tender is a battery conditioner it charges at a low rate and reads the battery so it shuts down when fully charged and starts up again when needed - a trickle charger may not shut itself down - Battery Butler has a bunch of different ones to pick from. I also use them on my snowmobiles up north in Maine in an unheated garage-always start right up.

Back