stuck distributor

After many years of a leaky exhaust manifold we have pulled the head to get it fixed and now that it is torn down I want to fix the distributor it is frozen into the block and you can not turn it to set timing or remove it. I have gotten a new one so I am not worried about what what happens to it. I just need it out with out wrecking anything

Get a big pry bar, and a block of wood or two. Put the pry bar under the edge of the distributor, and using the blocks of wood as a fulcrum point, start pushing down, and watch the distributor pop up. The distributor on my 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac was stuck just like yours, and that is what Ed did to get it out. I would clean up the old one and put some new old stock points back into it, and continue to use it. The problem with the rebuilds is that they are made up of lots of miscellaneous parts from other distributors, and the advance weights might not be proper for your car. This can lead to all sorts of ignition problems.
The distributor in my 1963 Chrysler failed on the road, and a rebuilt was all that I could get. I still have the old one, and some day, I intend to rebuild it and put it back in.

that worked for me. a little kocker loose really did maybe or not help. the problem I saw was the aluminum housing. electrolysis between the different medals had swelled around the shaft and froze it in place. a little gun grease on the new on going in will help.

but we tried the pipe wrench, the hammer, were going to use the 10lb knocker but went for the wrecking bar first. but prying up from the center close to the shaft we got a little moment and then wiggled and sprayed a little and pried some more till it came out in one piece.

Attachments

• IMG_6710a.jpg
    IMG_6710a.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_6709a.jpg
    IMG_6709a.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_6711a.jpg
    IMG_6711a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 209
thanks

I tried to twist it out with a pipe wrench and as a plumber I have a mighty big wrench:D But we do have a lot if lumber and big hammer bought the new head bolts and exhaust bolts today and a new fuel pump. Also new lifters when we fixed the limos exhaust leak two years ago we did not replace the lifters when we had the head off and when the noise from the leak was gone guess what we heard :eek: wont make that mistake again

its out

I got the old distirbuter out this week end we needed to a port a power to pry it out, got the head rework with the exhaust manifold shaved and reinstalled with new lifters almost ready to try to start in a few days just need to reinstall a few more thing and add water and we are ready

Attachments

• hearse 020.jpg
    hearse 020.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 125
  • hearse 015.jpg
    hearse 015.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 130
  • hearse 019.jpg
    hearse 019.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 122
brute force will always prevail. I really though about it myself and was holding it back as a last resort. I feared the same results you got.

i knew the future

I had already got a new distributor on hand I broke the one in the limo when I did this same fix on the exhaust manaflold. we put some anti cease on the new shaft. now I am just trying to install the air pump alt. Trying to get it running for Saturday their is car show I am trying to get to

Back