Carb troubles

Hi guys and gals.... my 1964 Cadillac hearse runs like poop. I think it was acting up a little before I put 2X as much Mystery Oil in it by accident. Now it dies when you let off pedal, you have to keep revving the engine to keep it going. I put a new fresh tank in, clean fuel filter, was hoping for an easy fix. Any ideas? Plus it sounds REALLY loud now. Any help appreciated. My phone number if anybody chooses is 316-259-8023. THANKS

Did you put the mystery oil in the gas, or the engine oil. Sounds like the gas?

Rebuild the carb, since it was running rough before. Is the choke tube inside the intake cracked? Is the heat riser on the left exh manifold stuck closed?
Are the points good.

to much gas, to little gas sound and act about the same. but running good before and not now says fuel pump to me. check that first before you pull the carb. then check the filter.

I would start by looking at what changed right before this happened. Did you only add the Mystery Oil and then the dying started?

Assuming the only changes have been to the fuel system (new filter, new tank, Mystery Oil) I would focus there. Make sure the fuel pump isn't failing and that the carburetor didn't get gummed up in those small passages inside. So I agree with Ed that's the place to start - good luck and keep us posted!

it would have been a lot nicer if they has put a drain plug in that tank. but if it was oil in gas you did easy enough to pull the file line were it goes out of the take and drain enough out to to dilute it back. but what may have happened is you washed a load of rust down off the top of the tank. the engine should run on a high mixture of oil and gas just smoke a little. but if it was carbon up a lot fowling plugs once the mix got to places and washed things down is the other possibility

Doug,
How long has it been since you ran the car last? Today's crummy gas only lasts 3 or 4 months before it turns bad. Always use "Stabil" or a comparable product to mix with the gas in engines that don't run very often. Your carb may be plugged in small passages with varnish from old gas. Fresh gas and take carb apart and clean thoroughly!

Could be this ethanol crap in gas today. I've already had to rebuild two carburetors and replace the fuel pumps on two cars since the mess came out. But the good thing is the new carbs and pumps are made to handle the new gas.

It's probably totaled by now. I'll give you my Superior in exchange for the bad one you have. Can't have "unsightly" old hearses just cluttering up a funeral home, you know.

Well, the carb issue was........... PHENOLIC SPACER was cracked, probably engine got too hot because either the heat riser is not working properly OR the NEW muffler system I had put on 3 years ago is plugged. It gets REALLY hot on the floorboard and drivers area because of where my muffler is, DIRECTLY UNDER my feet. So they are going to install a heat shield, I found a new phenolic spacer (I just like saying the word), and check the riser and muffler. Then I can zoom zoom again. Sound like a plan?

Back