Window glass removal.

Michael Mykulak

PCS Member
Ed, I have a date to take glass out of Bill Carlins ambulance. So far I have only been able to WD-40 the outside portion of the window gaskets because the interior is intact and I did not want to get oil on any of the interior panels or headliner. My question is if the inside portion of the window gasket has not been treated with the WD-40 is it going to be possible to get the glass out before the inside of the gasket gets treated. My only experience is removing the glass out of the 1965 we parted this spring. That time boths sides were treated and the job was not very difficult. Other wise if that step is by-passed, it is time to cut the gasket, right?

from what I have experience is if you get a liberal coating of the wd-40 on, it will soften up the entire gasket. that is given some time to work threw the rubber. if you can put the tip between the grommet and the pinch weld and between the grommet and the glass will be enough to get all of it. the neat part about superiers is that they used the same grommett left and right so one can swap sides to put the weatered side in and the clean side out when putting the glass back in.

Back