1992 Eagle Cad Brougham

Jim Tighe - Deceased 1942 - 2012

March 10, 1964 - April 27 2012
Does any of you know what changes/mods were made to the Cad mechanicals of these conversions? I am esp. interested in the brakes and chassis components, as I am reasonably sure that all the stuff under the hood is stock G.M. Thanks for any info.

Having spent some time underneath my 1988 Superior lately, it does not seem like anything was changed, with exception of lengthening the drive shaft, brake/fuel lines, and wiring.

I recently replaced the front brake pads, and the parts are just standard for the Cadillac Brougham sedan used for the conversion.

As a side note, I did notice that there are grease fittings on the drive shaft that seem to be non-Cadillac in nature, likely added during the conversion. It seems that the drive shaft on many of these vehicles may be missing out on grease because you can't really see the fittings unless you are searching for them. I know mine had not been greased for a long time.

This is very helpful, Brad. Where exactly on the drive shaft are these grease fittings? This reminds me of the '55 Packard I had yrs ago, 'cause there are grease fittings for the Torsion-Level suspension hidden under the cross-wise frame rails, so you need a diagram or a really knowledgeable mechanic to get them treated. IIRC, there are over 2 dozen grease points under those Packards. Thank you for the info.

Just one more reason to purchase the factory service manual. It has all this information listed, except for that which might have been added by the body builder.

Jim, There is one grease fitting on the front universal joint. The other I found is where the two parts of the drive shaft are connected near the carrier bearing. I found no grease fitting on the rear universal joint that connects to the differential. Your drive shaft may be a little different, so be sure to check it well.

Paul is right, the factory service manual is a must-have :thumbsup:

Universal joints that have been replaced, if replaced by a quality part will usually have a grease fitting on them, where the originals will not. The automobile manufacturers are many times of the belief that the part is lubricated for "life". Problem is that when the lubrication breaks down, the life of the part is sacrificed, and the part dies. I would carefully inspect the remaining OEM universal to confirm that it is still serviceable. If 2 of the 3 have been replaced, that means that the third one is probably going to fail shortly thereafter. It is a false economy to replace only those that have failed and assume that the one that you didn't replace will serve you well into the future. The only proper way to know is to remove the retaining bolts, and slide off the needle bearing caps and look at the journals for wear.

Having spent some time underneath my 1988 Superior lately, it does not seem like anything was changed, with exception of lengthening the drive shaft, brake/fuel lines, and wiring.

I recently replaced the front brake pads, and the parts are just standard for the Cadillac Brougham sedan used for the conversion.

As a side note, I did notice that there are grease fittings on the drive shaft that seem to be non-Cadillac in nature, likely added during the conversion. It seems that the drive shaft on many of these vehicles may be missing out on grease because you can't really see the fittings unless you are searching for them. I know mine had not been greased for a long time.

The grease fitting is the sign of a better u joint, you can get them sealed or with grease fittings, when ever i replace mine i always try to get the greaseable type. And it is also a good idea to get a service manual if you can.

Back