Rear axle seals...

Okay Ed, or anyone else who has some good news for me.....looking for rear axle bearing seals for my limousine. I see NONE listed anywhere, and I know they are different than the regular cars. They let my car pass inspection last year, as the oil from the leak hadn't made it up to the brake shoes yet, but it really needs done this year. Any suggestions on where to find the seals, and the bearings?

Probably should do the driveshaft carrier bearing and housing too, any suggestions there?

There is a replacement bearing made by Green Bearing Company that is a sealed bearing that uses an "O" ring for a seal for the 1970 - 1976 Commercial Chassis. There is a groove ground into the outer edge of the bearing that the "O" ring sits in to keep it in place during installation. You can purchase it from www.USApartssupply.com . Unfortunately, there is no part listed for the 1966 through 1969 Commercial Chassis cars.

True, it's just a sort of catch 22 situation....if I get it torn apart, can get the number, but then can't get the seal, then that's a problem. At least right now it's driveable.

I've had to buy a few of these center bearing/carrier assemblies over the years, the last one maybe 8-10 years ago and it was still an active part # at NAPA. Seems like it was just over 100.00. On an earlier purchase someone told me this assembly was the same for all 75 Series and c.c. cars from the 60s right up 'til the end of production in 1984. I didn't verify that but it made sense. Looks like that place in Texas has what you need. Ideally someone would measure the proposed replacement and you could match it up to the dimensions of your housing. Of course in hindsight, buying a few of these things to put on the shelf when they were 40-50 bucks would have been the thing to do!

Back