Fuel guage quit

Terry Lange

PCS Member
About 3 weeks ago, I installed a rebuilt speedometer/odometer into my '59 Olds. I also transferred the fuel guage and printed circuit from the old cluster into the rebuilt one. When I "carefully" removed the fuel guage from the old cluster, I watched the needle slowly move from the half full position to empty. When I re-installed it in the new cluster, it remained on empty, and hasn't moved since, even though I filled the tank. I know the problem is not in the float, as everything was working until I transferred the guage. And no, I did not damage the printed circuit. The shop manual calls for an Olds-specific tester to check the system, which of course I don't have.

Any suggestions?

Since the tank has not been touched and it is the guage that you knew worked I would check the ground wires. Fuel guages seem to be very sensitive to a loose wire. Also, give the dash or cluster a tap, and see if it works then. I have to do it on one of my cars when it stops working.

Check to see if your tank is like the rest. A resistor in the tank sends a signal to the gauge. if its like that, then take the sending unit ground off. the gauge should register either full or empty. Now ground the ground wirte. the gauge will go to the opposite of what it read with the ground wire not groounded.

if this checks out, the gauge and wire harness are good.

The printed circuit isn't grounding. Common problem when you remove a dash and then reinstall it. Unless you get everything back correctly, and tightened properly, you will have problems.

test light do you have power to the gage in the rear. yes gage went bad transferring it. no poor connection or you blew the fuse transferring it. my bet is on the fuse

The printed circuit isn't grounding. Common problem when you remove a dash and then reinstall it. Unless you get everything back correctly, and tightened properly, you will have problems.

Everything else that runs through that printed circuit (temp., oil pressure, gen. light, turn signal and high beam indicators, cluster illumination, all work as before. Just the gas gauge doesn't register. Wouldn't everything not work if it wasn't grounded?

test light do you have power to the gage in the rear. yes gage went bad transferring it. no poor connection or you blew the fuse transferring it. my bet is on the fuse

My luck would have to be changing if it was something as simple as a fuse, but will check that, and use a test light on the guage this weekend. Fortunately, I can still access both of the contacts on the rear of the fuel gauge with the instrument cluster still in place. If I have to r & r it a second time (a seven hour job the first time around), I will just live with a non-functioning gas gauge.

Back