70 Cadillac door lock question

James Fischer

PCS Member
While waiting for the penetrant to work on the door pins(looks like I am going to have to use air tool).....:eek:

I found one of the locks is damaged and will not function....
is there anything specific to the commercial chassis that would be different from a regular 70 Cadillac ? anyone have any experience with AFTERMARKET lock sets ??
thank you...

first try to lube the lock. not everyone lives on the east and west cost. some of us still never lock anything. they freeze up after a few years. use anyone of the penetrates and slid the nozzle into the flap and fill it up. let it work. the problem with after market locks is you need 5. but a GM lock is a Gm lock. all you need to do is remove the leaver off the back and transfer it to the new lock. one can get a locksmith to re tumble the one to fit your key. but I'll bet a little lube and work the key and you can get it to function again. we had to do 2 of the 69s that way. it's nice to only have the one key do the doors and switch will worth a little effort to free up the one

first try to lube the lock. not everyone lives on the east and west cost. some of us still never lock anything. they freeze up after a few years. use anyone of the penetrates and slid the nozzle into the flap and fill it up. let it work. the problem with after market locks is you need 5. but a GM lock is a Gm lock. all you need to do is remove the leaver off the back and transfer it to the new lock. one can get a locksmith to re tumble the one to fit your key. but I'll bet a little lube and work the key and you can get it to function again. we had to do 2 of the 69s that way. it's nice to only have the one key do the doors and switch will worth a little effort to free up the one

Ed,
We removed he lock and SOAKED it in PB Blaster overnight ....this morning we played with it...after about 10 minutes it moved about 1/4 inch when turned with the key..but out of one of the openings a very small part of a spring fell out.....and there seems to be more of it in there.....thats why I am thinking replacement......

take the lock and the key to the locksmith, and it can be repaired for less than a made in China replacement lock.

like Paul said. it has had a come apart on the cover over the pins. that spring was the tension device for the pin. a lock smith will have it back working fine fr you.

take the lock and the key to the locksmith, and it can be repaired for less than a made in China replacement lock.

Lock is FIXED...took it to my local locksmith...he rebuilt the internal working and it now is as good as new !!:thumbsup:
and bill was only $27.50......

Back