Your opinions needed

Glass

:my2cents:I would have a local glass shop order and install it. All the local shops I have dealt with if you bring them a piece of glass new or not ,they will not guarantee it if it breaks. If they order it and install, it is all on them.

Attachments

• 59-64 CC Windshield #.JPG
    59-64 CC Windshield #.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 175
Contact info for the glass shop, that I almost had remove the glass out of the 65 when I had it at your place in St. Cloud. They seemed to have quoted very fair prices. CITY AUTO GLASS 1-320-240-0666

Last edited:
If you have patience, then don't buy a new '59-'64 CC windshield.

When reproduction windshields were $1200+, used original windshields were selling for $600-700. Then manufacturing went offshore a few years back. New mold. Price dropped to $850ish. All of a sudden sellers couldn't get $400 for a used original. Who would want to deal with that since new windshield price came down a good chunk...

Then something odd happened over the last 18 months or so. Buyers began to realize serious flaws in this new mold windshield. They're now a full 1/2" wider than original. I know of 3 different people who had professional glaziers initially break this new mold windshield installing because of the additional width. (One, Russ Austin, is on this site.) Secondly, the new mold windshield's crown is flatter and does not match the roof line. Also meets it at a harsher angle. Doesn't flow like an original. Bottom line is that it is a poor reproduction.

If you don't believe me, ask around and look with your own eyes. The differences are bad enough that used original windshield prices have consistently escalated to $700 (brown tint, blue tint sells for more although I haven't seen one come to market recently) as a result. A NOS brown tint original sold last year for $1500 and I know someone else who purchased two blue tint reproductions from the old US mold (that matched original windshield, also last year) for $2800.

So if you don't need one 'yesterday', either look for an original in the tint desired or a US made reproduction up until 5+/- years ago. Your coach will be glad you did.

Back