1959 Eureka combination - IL

a 18 ft trailer is just not big enough to handle it. you would easily get that into were he is. if what was done was good. defiantly a go look at before you buy car. if he doesn't have the interior for a pattern ? is any trim missing? is the plating done? does it run? glass? all those things one needs to ask. but taking all the parts are there. one will at least get another 10 into finishing it up. providing you do it your self. rubber alone will run you over 500

a 18 ft trailer is just not big enough to handle it. you would easily get that into were he is. if what was done was good. defiantly a go look at before you buy car. if he doesn't have the interior for a pattern ? is any trim missing? is the plating done? does it run? glass? all those things one needs to ask. but taking all the parts are there. one will at least get another 10 into finishing it up. providing you do it your self. rubber alone will run you over 500

I called him...he has the rear corner glass...he said that he has the flat glass ordered and will include it as well as a windshield...he said that he has the rear door glass; said it was part of the flat glass...I thought that the rear door glass was curved in two dimensions, but I am no expert. I did not press the issue. He said that he had the engine machine work done by a local, trusted machinist that he has used with good results previously...he did the rebuild himself... He told me that he has is own shop and employs people with various skill sets that can complete the restoration for an extra 25K. He said that his reserve is very close to the buy it now price. He was well spoken and friendly over the phone. The coach looks nice in the pics...I suspect that his ebay exposure will result in an ebay sale or an off ebay sale.
I agree that one would want to see it in person.

I called him...he has the rear corner glass...he said that he has the flat glass ordered and will include it as well as a windshield...he said that he has the rear door glass; said it was part of the flat glass...I thought that the rear door glass was curved in two dimensions, but I am no expert. I did not press the issue. He said that he had the engine machine work done by a local, trusted machinist that he has used with good results previously...he did the rebuild himself... He told me that he has is own shop and employs people with various skill sets that can complete the restoration for an extra 25K. He said that his reserve is very close to the buy it now price. He was well spoken and friendly over the phone. The coach looks nice in the pics...I suspect that his ebay exposure will result in an ebay sale or an off ebay sale.
I agree that one would want to see it in person.

I assure you that the rear door glass is definitely NOT flat! It will take a very long time to come up with a correct '59 Eureka back door glass if he does not have the original!

Someone did a real crappy job of recovering that dash pad! Makes you wonder about the caliber of work on some of the other components.

Someone did a real crappy job of recovering that dash pad! Makes you wonder about the caliber of work on some of the other components.

Are you talking about the area around the delete that is rotated about 50 degrees counter clockwise too far? I checked my 59 to compare the two...it looks like the material they used is too thick or was not trimmed down enough on the back to make a clean edge.

The dash color is what slaps you in the face innitially! It should be grey. Everything about this coach would make me nervous. You really have no idea as to what you are getting with this one. You also have no idea as to what lies beneath that, very fresh, paint job.

Could this possibly be the '59 Eureka combo that was just sold on foreclosure auction a couple of months ago in the Rockford, IL area?? Wheaton, IL is a Northwestern suburb of Chicago. I am thinking so.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the area around the delete that is rotated about 50 degrees counter clockwise too far? I checked my 59 to compare the two...it looks like the material they used is too thick or was not trimmed down enough on the back to make a clean edge.

That is what's most apparent. I had a '59 Series 62 convertible for about 14 years, and don't recall all the stitching that is shown here above and to the right of the speedo cluster, as well as the bezel to the right of the steering wheel, and the area around the ignition switch. I remember this all being one piece of leather (or vinyl), as opposed to this photo that looks like many pieces stitched together.

Shouldn't be any stitching as it is a molded vinyl covering. 99% of all commercial chassis had a grey dash pad as well.

you could be right on the rock ford car. the timing is about right. but then look at what I'm working on. I would not say anything but go look. I do know I was quoted a price of a grand to recover this 58 dash. the are not a easy one to do. 25 would be about right for a shop to finish it. but me I would worry more about the interior and if the trim is all there. there is a man up north that is doing all the patch panels for the 59. so putting one of them back to gather with pre formed panels would be a easy task. Eureka has a different construction then any others. made doing that kind of stuff easy.

Dash

you could be right on the rock ford car. the timing is about right. but then look at what I'm working on. I would not say anything but go look. I do know I was quoted a price of a grand to recover this 58 dash. the are not a easy one to do. 25 would be about right for a shop to finish it. but me I would worry more about the interior and if the trim is all there. there is a man up north that is doing all the patch panels for the 59. so putting one of them back to gather with pre formed panels would be a easy task. Eureka has a different construction then any others. made doing that kind of stuff easy.

To do it right ,you need a place like just dashes . I think they get 1200-1500 to do a 59 style dash.

The dash color is what slaps you in the face innitially! It should be grey. Everything about this coach would make me nervous. You really have no idea as to what you are getting with this one. You also have no idea as to what lies beneath that, very fresh, paint job.

Could this possibly be the '59 Eureka combo that was just sold on foreclosure auction a couple of months ago in the Rockford, IL area?? Wheaton, IL is a Northwestern suburb of Chicago. I am thinking so.

The buyer told me that he acquired the coach 3 or 4 years ago (if I remember correctly) as a part of a purchase of a building.

Possible.............. but don't believe everything that an eBay seller tells you!

Right...I was only reporting the news objectively. I was not stating that I agree or disagree. I respect a person's word until they give me reason not to. That said, I am a believer in the, "trust but verify" philosophy....pretty sure that is what John Renstrom alluded to when he stated, "...if what was done was good. defiantly a go look at before you buy car.".

We all have stories of dishonest people...even if one careful.

Conversation with seller

Good morning! Do all original (Cadillac and Eureka) front and rear interior components come with the car?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
Thanks for you question. I would be happy to provide everything I have from the original interior. Seat was in poor condition and the dash and dash pad could be packed up and shipped as well. Pad was not very good but I have not thrown it out. Interior metal trim for the doors and cargo area has all just been repainted. Door panels need work yet.
Al

What about the partition cabinet, partition window, floor, casket rack, folding attendant seats, cot hook, rear heater, curtain rods, curtains, etc., and so forth?

...and wheelhouses, headliner, siren, etc.?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
Wooden partition bulkhead is in place. I have not seen a partition cabinet. I sent out all the old glass to be used for patterns of the new glass and I thought it was all there but I don't remember checking for the partition glass, I was focusing on all the exterior glass. The car was taken apart before I took possession. The wooden floor is all intact and in quite good condition. I do not have the attendant seat (only one foot well in the back). I figured I could fabricate one when the time came if I didn't locate one. As far as the casket rack, cot hook, curtain and curtain rods, I do not remember seeing them. I do not see any provisions on the floor for anything floor mounted either. I also do not find any rear heater nor have noted any provisions for one. I acquired this vehicle 6 years ago when I purchased the buildings and inventory of the restoration shop that was doing the work on my cars. I may have more parts than what I have stated, and I have a source for parts I may not have that are needed for a complete restoration, but I don't want to mislead you. IF I've got it it's going with the car. If I find something after the car leaves it will be shipped as I would have no need for it. Hope this answers your question.
Al

" I acquired this vehicle 6 years ago when I purchased the buildings and inventory of the restoration shop that was doing the work on my cars."

He may have said, "six years..."...I was not completely sure...Everything else he wrote seems consistent to what he said to me over the phone.

Folks were talking about a Eureka that sold in Rockford...does anyone know who bought it? Did anyone save any pictures or information from the auction? If so, it should be easy to compare the VIN tags...

The car from the Rockford auction was a 1960 landau 3 way. PCS member Nick Yassin purchased it. This is not the coach that sold there. The guy would have to have been a magician to get this far on it in a few months.

Attachments

• PART_1450448830471_20151002_140532.jpg
    PART_1450448830471_20151002_140532.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 116
Back