S&S panel at front of raised roof

Why did S&S put the panel at the front of the raised roof on their ambulances? Is it plexiglass? Was there an option to light that panel? I just don't understand why they didn't just use steel like in the rest of the roof.

Scott: They look good lit up. I owned a 1973 S&S Medic Mark-I once that had a working one that was lettered "Fort Wright "LIFE SQUAD". I believe they ONLY came in RED that often clashed with the coach color when turned off. MM

We had a 76 S&S Medic Mark 1 with one. It did light up and the color of the ambulance (kind of a ruby red) did not clash. We really never did use it. I lit it of a few times just to see of the bulbs were good. Like John said, this was S&S's hook.

Does anyone have a photo of a car with the Astra lit? I promise not to hijack the photo, I'm just curious to see what it looks like.

Here is an example of the S&S "Astra" 'lit'

Does anyone have a photo of a car with the Astra lit? I promise not to hijack the photo, I'm just curious to see what it looks like.

If you zoom in a bit and look closely, you can perhaps see a few of the six or so bayonet-mount lamps ('lit up') behind the Astra panel in this on-scene/in-action shot (linked post below) depicting the '73 Medic Mark I Professional Mike M was referring to...

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=27812&postcount=17

If you zoom in a bit and look closely, you can perhaps see a few of the six or so bayonet-mount lamps ('lit up') behind the Astra panel in this on-scene/in-action shot (linked post below) depicting the '73 Medic Mark I Professional Mike M was referring to...

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=27812&postcount=17

Scott: This is the one I owned at one time before Dr. Richards, Tim Fantin and it's current owner Bruce-B. Another thing I remember about it was that when lit, it was like one LARGE BRILLIANT Red Light (not just a dimly lit plexiglass signboard) and we had to turn it off when traveling in between (especially) night and day events or cars we were following would pull over. MM

Here is my S&S Professional, the unit that Mike was talking about, with only the Astra eliminated. If you look at the S&S brochure the Astra was available in red, blue, green, orange, and white.

Astra

As you can see VERY brilliant!

A friend of mine who owned a small (3 ambulances) service had a 71 S&S,.....he was stopped more then once by CHP for "running code" when in fact he just had the Astra on.....after the 3rd or 4th time he had a "dimmer" switch installed to tone it down a bit...after that no more issues......thay are bright and brilliant to say the least.....

Back