old ambulances in a parking garage

It looks to be an underpass. Leaving a car under that for 3 weeks and it looks dusty like this. Cinema rental cars? private collection?

The one at the end has a Minnesota plate on it. The first one looks like Chicago ambulances I have seen, with the black over red and the dual Mars lights on the fenders.

That's a 2005 sticker on the Minnesota plate and that plate is not registered in Minnesota anymore on this car or any other one since it is transferable.

if you look at the date it's over 2 years old. not that they can't still be there. the 75 CB Hearse I had came out of a storage bulding in ST.Lewis. the party quit paying the storage on it and the ownes were selling it to cover then debt. there buildign looked about like this

I recognize a few of them

Those cars are - or were - owned by PCS member Jim Ireland. When Jim began collecting ambulances, he was doing a residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Dr. White and I made many visits to Jim's place as he added several cars to his fleet. Having completed his medical education, Jim moved to Hawaii and took some of the cars with him.

I was not aware that he'd added a '75 C/B Olds to his collection...

I wasn't aware that Jim had redone the '62 M/M back to it's original colors. Terry and I used that car for several years at the Winnipeg Speedway back in the 70's. It sure looks a lot better than the last time I saw it. At that time it was painted in purple and white and needed considerable work.

1962 Futura

If I remember the story correctly, she originally served a suburban Chicago fire department and then a small town in Iowa before going to Manitoba. I've had this photo for 30 years or so, but it has no information on the back. Kerry, can you fill in the blanks?

(SL collection)

Attachments

• MM lowtop 001.jpg
    MM lowtop 001.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 795
Pack rat

That 62 is stunning and understated in black and red. These vehicles have been taken to Hawaii - the other videos are filmed there. I can imagine with fuel prices there they are not used often. If anyone knows the owner, you may want to tell him the vehicles are not secure.

Steve, I believe that Terry may have taken this photo shortly after we brought the vehicle home from Advance Ambulance Sales in Mpls/St. Paul in the mid seventies. We were told that it served the small town of Strawberry Point, IA prior to Winnipeg Speedway purchasing it. The owner of Winnipeg Speedway, who also owned a body shop, did the body work, added some fender skirts and painted it the speedway colors, orange and white (which I never thought suited the car). It was eventually retired as it was replaced by newer Cadillacs and sat in field for a number of years. At some point the owner of a speed equipment shop bought it and painted it purple and white. It disappeared shortly after that, presumably bought by Dave Ireland.

Dusty Underpass

When I moved back to Hawaii from Minnesota, I had to store the crew under a freeway for a time until my garage was done. One is the 62 M&M, another a 69 Superior that once was served Albert Lea, MN. They got really dusty but it wached right off.

As for the 62, I could not match the VIN to the Chicago Fire Department inventory even though it had many features of their ambulances (White Mars 888 on fenders, red and green tunnel lights, black roof), but not the DX-40 on the roof. I suspect it may have been a suburb or nearby town of Chicago that used some of their features.

Winnipeg Speedway Ambulance

Here are a couple of photos that I found of the '62 M-M after it came out of the body shop. It sure looks better with fender skirts! As to the color, Kerry and I both voted for leaving it black over red, but we weren't writing the checks, so we lost the argument. All of the speedway's vehicles were orange and white.

Terry

Attachments

• Speedway 62001.jpg
    Speedway 62001.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Speedway 62002.jpg
    Speedway 62002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 704
Back