Builder to be identified

Martin Harvey

PCS Member
a friend took a ride to take some pictures of a 1963 Pontiac Catalina limousine, with a strange Police ID title. The car is from the States and it's a commercial chassis. It will be fully restored during the winter.

here are some pics grabbed on another forum:

My first idea was C/B .. any guess? where the coachbuilder tag is located on these limos?

The forum members asked me to check here to be sure! I will tell them to locate the correct tag and Ill give you some news on it!

Pontiac, like many other makes, offered police packages for their lower-priced cars. These package offered many heavy-duty components like wheels, shocks, brakes, cooling systems and so forth. This Catalina (probably a two-door coupe to begin with) was obviously fitted with this particular factory option. Like Steve said, its not a Superior or a National but most likely a Stageway. Interesting car that deserves to be restored.

Below you'll see what Tom McPherson sent me regarding the 1963 Pontiac Catalinas. Looking at the photo of the serial plate on the web site, this car was a "style 63-2311" which, according to the data below, started life as a 1963 Pontiac Catalina two-door sedan. It was equipped with the police package among other options and, again, I believe that the limousine conversion was carried out by Armbruster-Stageway. This has got to be a fairly rare survivor. I can't imagine that there were a lot of these built in the first place.

Model Number Body/Style Number Body Type & Seating Factory Price Shipping Weight Total Production
Catalina Series 23
23 69 4d Sedan - 6P $2,795 3,755 lbs 79,961
23 39 4d Vista Hardtop - 6P $2,935 3,815 lbs 31,256
23 11 2d Sedan - 6P $2,725 3,685 lbs 14,091
23 47 2d Hardtop - 6P $2,859 3,725 lbs 60,795
23 67 2d Convertible - 5P $3,300 3,835 lbs 18,249
23 45 4d Station Wagon - 9P $3,193 4,230 lbs 11,751
23 35 4d Station Wagon - 6P $3,171 4,175 lbs 18,446

NOTES:

1.234,549 Catalinas Were Built
2.16,811 had Synchromesh
3.217,738 had Hydra-Matic

sageway it is should be a tag o the drivers door. if it's not there then evidence of it would still be there. they loved to label there stuff. here is one of a 71

now if we can only Id mine.

Attachments

• 1971 sagway aiport limo door tag.jpg
    1971 sagway aiport limo door tag.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 190
In taking a second look, that is definitely not a Superior roof. Superior did not use the stock Pontiac roof line like Stageway did in those years. There is a '63 or '64 Superior Bonneville limo in Newton, Iowa that I have a photo of..... somewhere.

In taking a second look, that is definitely not a Superior roof. Superior did not use the stock Pontiac roof line like Stageway did in those years. There is a '63 or '64 Superior Bonneville limo in Newton, Iowa that I have a photo of..... somewhere.

Here is a pic of the one in Newton I took.
Also a 63 Superior in Riverside, IA I took a few years ago. Neither one are great pics, but you can tell these Superiors look nothing like the one originally posted.

limo collection 22.jpg

1963 Superior Pontiac 2.jpg

The internet never fails to amaze me. Here's a website I've never heard of before (thanks for posting it) with a photo I've posted elsewhere and photos of my Pontiac ambulance as well. At least my photo is properly credited...

Steve, same for my own photos of the other '64 Pontiac ambulance I sent few years ago to the owner to help him on the sale !

Back