Replacing a output transistor

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
The output transistor on my Federal PA15A is dead as a result of someone at the body shop turning on the siren while the speakers were removed. Does anyone know of a person or firm that can replace a blown transistor? thanks Paul

The output transistor on my Federal PA15A is dead as a result of someone at the body shop turning on the siren while the speakers were removed. Does anyone know of a person or firm that can replace a blown transistor? thanks Paul

Thanks, I never realized doing this would damage it.

Schimmelhorne,

Most electronics stores will have the means to do this, the parts or access to them also. Some young techie would do it for $20 + part.

If you want to spend more money, you could go to a police shop, like a motorola dealer of mobile communications...the guys who install police radios, sirens, lightbars etc. They too will have the ability to bench the Director and hopefully have the part you need.

I do know a guy at FS that has helped me in the past with getting NOS stuff for these.

Repair

Cal's Communication Inc in Lafayette, LA has worked on these for years. It is where I worked right out of high school building police cars and learning how to do the "under the hood" electronics.

If you can't find help locally, send to me and I'll take it to them...

Back