1956 Cadillac Superior Combination

David Wall

PCS Member
I joined the PCS a few weeks ago and at the time I was looking for a 1950-1956 Cadillac Combination. I have found and bought a 1956 Cadillac Superior Combination and I am trying find a 365 engine and a jetaway transmission with the linkage. I would like to keep this car stock. This car does not have an engine or transmission in it for rebuilding. I have restored cars as a hobby for years and I know this car is going to be a challenge and a labor of love. Is there someone in the PCS that might have, or know where I could buy an engine and transmission with the linkage? Thanks in advance for any direction / advice / information.

I joined the PCS a few weeks ago and at the time I was looking for a 1950-1956 Cadillac Combination. I have found and bought a 1956 Cadillac Superior Combination and I am trying find a 365 engine and a jetaway transmission with the linkage. I would like to keep this car stock. This car does not have an engine or transmission in it for rebuilding. I have restored cars as a hobby for years and I know this car is going to be a challenge and a labor of love. Is there someone in the PCS that might have, or know where I could buy an engine and transmission with the linkage? Thanks in advance for any direction / advice / information.

Hi David, welcome! That will be a great coach, when it is done! I don't believe you want a Jetaway trans, that is an Oldsmobile trans, I think you are looking for a HydraMatic. The HydraMatic was Cadillac's four speed automatic, somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
Best of luck!

David, welcome! I used to have a 57 superior landau combination. It had the 365 with hydramatic transmission. Best of success with the restoration and hope to see the pics as you progress.

Welcome David,
I have a complete engine trans combo up here in the Pacific Northwest..a bit far from you, but if you get in a pinch.
I have a '56 Superior Modern that I will be restoring as well. Please post some pics when you get a chance.
Cheers,Pat

You are all correct on the transmission for a '56 Cadillac being a Hydramatic. I was trying to find out what transmission it would have because it has a different shift pattern than my '55 cadillac, which does not have a "P" for park. The '56 does have a "P" for Park. I found that I received some bad information. Thanks for the info. I am glad you all pointed me in the right direction.

50's Transmissions

I'm going from memory right now, so please forgive me if I'm not exactly correct.

Transmissions from 1950 on are far from being the same. The early 50's automatics only had 1-2 speeds, as I recall. Lots still had manual transmissions, 3 on the tree. My 1953 Eureka flower car has a hydromatic with 4 gears, as I recall. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is a hard shift, with quite a clunk, depending on how you drive it. Cadillac customers complained about this and for the '54 model year, the transmission softened noticeably. My '54 Eureka hearse proves this to be true. I'm not sure, but I think in '56 the transmission is called a Turbo-Hydramatic, adding the "Park" shift position. Somewhere up the line, in the '60's, I believe Cadillac did use a transmission called Jet-Away, probably up to the time the Reverse shift position got moved next to the Park, as opposed to being on the far right, as it was from late 50's to early '60's. I look forward to any clarifications or corrections. I never really kept track, but it's an interesting subject. Tom

I found some information yesterday that refered to the transmission as "Dual or Controlled Coupling Hydramatic". The shift pattern is from left P N DR Lo R . I know '56 was the first year for this. I am not sure how long it was used. Thanks.

56 combo

Yep you are right. Jetaway were installed in 1959-60 only. You have a Hydramatic. Very good transmission on re-introduced 1956. There was a mass re-call on them when the 56 came out becuase GM chromed All the moving parts, and you know when heat gets to excess heat it peels off.
So every 56 trans had to be replaced. Some customers had to wait six months to drive their new car, Took 6 months to get a new transmission
re-engineered by GM. :batterUp:

Back